Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 5th, 2018 12:00

Inspiron 660s, GoPro Hero 5 black, dedicated video memory

I have just purchased a new GoPro Hero 5 black. The GoPro app Is not supported on Windows 8, only Windows 10. I have upgraded my Inspiron 660 to Windows 10 and downloaded the app. It works however my video barely moves. After researching it appears the dedicated memory needs to be increased. From what i am reading this cannot be done on a Intel Hd graphics card. I tried but bios just skip over the setting and will not allow change. Is there any way to change this? Do I have to buy a new video card in order to correct this? If so which one? This is getting expensive huh? Finally, if I need to purchase a new computer what would be the least expensive and yet allow decent use with the GoPro app? I hope someone out there can be of help. Thanks!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 5th, 2018 21:00

Since I don't actually have a GoPro, I'm not sure off-hand what file format it creates, but it should be something fairly "raw and editable".

On Windows, I use Adobe Elements Suite 14 (with Premiere). It was inexpensive a couple of years ago and works fine. It also came with a free Apple-Mac version.

On the Apple-Mac, I can use that ... or Apple's iMovie.

On my new Dell Vostro-460 "Kodi box", I downloaded Cyberlink's Media Suite Essentials for Dell ... for free, from the Windows Store. Looks usable and comes with their "PowerDirector" video-editing software.

Anyway, if any of these other video-editors work on your existing hardware ... would you still want to spend money to upgrade your video-card and/or whole computer just to get GoPro's Quik to run?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 5th, 2018 12:00

Are you running old GoPro-Studio v2.x

https://gopro.com/help/articles/Question_Answer/GoPro-Studio-End-of-Life-FAQ

Or, Quik Desktop v2.6.x?

https://shop.gopro.com/softwareandapp/quik-%7C-desktop/Quik-Desktop.html#

Basically, it would be helpful for us to know what software you are trying to run so we can see the Minimum (and Recommended) software System Requirements.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 5th, 2018 13:00

Also,

1. How old is this Inspiron 660s ?

2. What Intel processor is installed ?

3. How much ram-memory is installed ?

5 Posts

May 5th, 2018 14:00

That would be quick desktop v2.6

5 Posts

May 5th, 2018 14:00

The Inspiron is fro 2013. I3-2130 cpu 3.4 ghz. 6 gig ram 64 bit. Intel hd graphics 2000. 1664 mb's total graphic memory 32 mb dedicated. Shared system memory 1632 mb.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 5th, 2018 16:00

@R.69wrote:

The Inspiron is fro 2013. I3-2130 cpu 3.4 ghz. 6 gig ram 64 bit. Intel hd graphics 2000. 1664 mb's total graphic memory 32 mb dedicated. Shared system memory 1632 mb.

Your Intel on-board video card is a couple of generations behind (if you are working with 4K video), but other than that ... I don't see anything that would keep it from working "good enough" with GoPro Quik Desktop.

Are you downloading the camera's video files completely to the computer first? And then, editing and playing the video file that is now sitting on your local hard-drive?

As a test ... have you tried working with 720p video instead ?

5 Posts

May 5th, 2018 19:00

The videos were 1080/30.  the files used were the ones that are downloaded on the c drive. when i open them in the gopro app the video is slow and choppy but audio plays fine.  if i open the file using the file locator in windows the file opens in the movie and tv app in windows and plays just fine. i think it is an issue with the video memory used in the gopro app. fyi... the mobile gopro app works fine on my android g4 play.

i just tried a video in 720/30 and it has the same issues on the desk top app.  i also did an uninstall and reinstall of the app to no avail.

I guess my question remain can I increase dedicated memory on the integrated graphics card? can i upgrade the video card and if so, what would be recommended? or lastly if i have to buy a new computer (ugh) what would be a decent inexpensive choice that would work.

all input will be appreciated.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 5th, 2018 20:00

@R.69wrote:

1. The videos were 1080/30. i just tried a video in 720/30 and it has the same issues on the desk top app. 

2. the files used were the ones that are downloaded on the c drive. 

3. if i open the file using the file locator in windows the file opens in the movie and tv app in windows and plays just fine.

4. i think it is an issue with the video memory used in the gopro app.

4b.  I guess my question remain can I increase dedicated memory on the integrated graphics card?

5. fyi...the mobile gopro app works fine on my android g4 play.

6. i also did an uninstall and reinstall of the app to no avail.

7. can i upgrade the video card and if so, what would be recommended?

8. or lastly if i have to buy a new computer (ugh) what would be a decent inexpensive choice that would work.

1. It's just not that hard for a computer to edit a video ... especially, a 720/30fps one. I don't have a GoPro, but I do use both a Mobius (1080p/30fps and 720p/60fps) and a Xiomi-Yi (1080p/60fps) with my drones.

2. Ok, good

3. At least that works.

4. Possibly, or it could be something else like your CPU

4b. It's normally in the BIOS. Also, some of those sizes you mentioned aren't quite right.

5. Right. So, the little Android device can play/edit a video, but a desktop computer can't ... something is weird there.

6. Good try.

7. Probably. I'll let someone else help you with that. I'm not sure what these older tiny Inspirons can handle (power-wise and space-wise). 

8. Well, you tried Inexpensive and/or barely-working and see where it got you. If you are going to be editing video, I suggest you get a nicer computer this time.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 5th, 2018 20:00

Apparently, you are not the only one having problems with GoPro-Quik (and they have nicer computers than you). Sounds like maybe it's un-optimized junk ? :Indifferent:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Desktop/Quik-Not-Responding/td-p/24403/page/4

and

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Desktop/Having-problems-with-Quik-on-Win10-Pro-with-Hero6-saving-clips/td-p/167515

If you can download the files from the camera (and they play fine in other software) that is good. Sounds like maybe you just need some basic (but working) video-editing software?

5 Posts

May 6th, 2018 06:00

Tesla, First off,  I would like to thank you for your time and effort.  I think before I invest  much more money on a computer right now I will try working with some other editors. while yes it would be nice to use an app designed to work with the product, it appears (as you pointed out) that the gopro app does not have things quite right (2 years now?).  I also see where others are frustrated after buying gopro's they find they must buy upgrades or new computers in order to use their software (bad on Woodson).  The same issue exists if I want to use my 2nd gen ipad. the app needs ios10 which cannot be loaded on 2nd gen's.

once again thank you!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 6th, 2018 10:00

@R.69wrote:

1. Tesla, First off,  I would like to thank you for your time and effort. 

2. I think before I invest  much more money on a computer right now I will try working with some other editors. while yes it would be nice to use an app designed to work with the product,

3. it appears (as you pointed out) that the gopro app does not have things quite right (2 years now?).  I also see where others are frustrated after buying gopro's they find they must buy upgrades or new computers in order to use their software (bad on Woodson). 

4. The same issue exists if I want to use my 2nd gen ipad. the app needs ios10 which cannot be loaded on 2nd gen's.

once again thank you!

1. You are welcome.

2. Good thinking. Let me know how your search goes.

For Windows-10 ... a dual-core processor is barley suitable. For demanding use-case like video-editing, even more un-suitable. And of course, Intel on-board HD-2000 is also very low-end. It's really hard to say where the bottle-neck is there. Plus, the Inspiron is 5 years old.

3. Right. They make nice cameras (hardware) though. :Smile: Some of these new Windows desktops (around $1200) are crazy fast. They are so fast, they will even run poorly optimized software acceptably.

4. Right. I also recently retired two iPad-2's (yes, locked on iOS-9 and even then, some features were depreciated). My wife won them free years ago, and they served their purpose. We bought her a new iPad-Pro 9.7 and Pencil and it's real nice. I also just picked-up last year's iPad-5 9.7 (2017) brand-new at Staples for $230. New iPhone to replace my old 5s is next. Then, in 2019, maybe a new MacPro (if I like it). 

1 Message

April 17th, 2021 09:00

I have bought dell Inspiron core i3 on 2012 now I made videos on GoPro and want to edit but can’t find the perfect application can you please help me to find out which application can edit gopro videos on my dell inspiron laptop

No Events found!