Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

June 5th, 2018 11:00

Inspiron 7459, dead hard drive

Hi,

The HDD on my Inspiron 7459 is dead and the self diagnostic directs me to order a new HDD. I like to find out if I can restore the OS and software back to the factory state after I install the new drive through the secure partition, or do I need separate recovery disks? I don't think the 7459 comes with any optical drives.

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 5th, 2018 13:00

The OS Recovery partition is on the dead HDD. If you cannot see the partition on the dead HDD, then no, you cannot restore from it. The recovery USB key would have been made when the HDD was functioning. You can try KeyInCloud.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

June 5th, 2018 16:00

If this is Win 10, you can download everything you need to create your own bootable USB stick for free from Microsoft to install Windows on the new hard drive. And then download the Win 10 drivers for this model from Dell.

And save the old HDD. It might not be bootable, but it might be readable, if your files aren't backed up on external media. You can put the old drive in an external drive case that connects to a PC via USB if you need to rescue your files.

2 Posts

June 5th, 2018 18:00

thanks both for your advise

No Events found!