Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2019 12:00

Inspiron 7777 AIO, upgrade RAM and SSD

Hi :) Hope someone can shed a light on this for me, as I'm a previous mac-user and have limited experience with Windows-machines.

I've got a Dell Inspiron AIO 7777 with 16 gigs of RAM and 256 GB m.2 SSD. I've gotten help to purchase to new RAM chips that's 16 GB each to upgrade to 32 GB. As far as I'm aware, this should be quite easy to upgrade myself. 

But recently I've experienced trouble installing plugins for Adobe on the C-drive, and I would like to upgrade the SSD as well. I'm looking at this, quite expensive, but looks like what I need: Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2. 

But if I'm to replace the SSD, I would need to reinstall Windows, right? What kind of backup should I take of my current system to ensure that I can reboot and have Windows and my software on the new harddrive? I've never done anything like this before, so I'm hoping someone can advise me on which methods to use, or if this is something I should have someone else do for me. 

Thank you,

Cathrine :)

573 Posts

January 28th, 2019 08:00

Hi @Camomilla ,

As you mentioned that you're a previous mac-user and never done anything like this kind of hardware upgrade before, let me talks about it in details and hopefully it helps.

Hardware Purchase - RAM

Rule number 1: Always check on the official Service Manual and Setup Guide before any hardware purchase for upgrade.

Page #18 on the setup guide tells you that your PC with 2 DDR4 SODIMM(stand for short RAM band usually for laptop, not the long one for desktop) slots, each support up to 2666 MHz and 16GB, i.e. total system memory support up to 32GB (yes, you're right). However, not all RAM from varies manufacturers fit for Dell machine even thought all standard mentioned above matched. Cricual maybe the one most recommended in the forum as they guaranteed to work on Dell computer.

Page #28 on the service manual tells you location of the DIMM slot and how to replace memory module.

Hardware Purchase - NVMe m.2 SSD

When compare with RAM, NVMe m.2 SSD would be more generic on compatibility. The one you're looking for -Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB NVMe m.2- should be fine with your PC.

Hard Drive Cloning

Generally, Windows do not comes with hard drive cloning tools by default. You need a third party tools to work it out, say Maricum Reflect for example. It helps to create a rescue media USB stick that you can boot from it and start your hard drive cloning on an user-friendly interface. You can use it to clone your existing hard drive to the external USB storage, replace the new hard drive, then clone again from the external USB storage. It's reliable and, the most valuable point, it's free for home use!

General hard drive cloning steps as below:

- Precaution

• An USB stick with 1GB or above
  • Your Seagate external drive with spare space over 256GB (Or total size over 256GB if all existing data on the external drive can be erased)
  • Your newly purchased m.2 hard drive and your Inspiron AIO 7777
  • A cup of coffee or your favorite drinks + your favorite books or readings (optional, to spend your time during hard drive cloning

- Preparation for USB Hard Drive Cloning Tools

1. Download and install Maricum Reflect in existing Windows
  2. Plug in the USB stick to the USB 2.0 port (better an empty one as it would be formatted during process)
  3. Open Maricum Reflect, go to Other Tasks > Create Rescue Media
  4. Continuously clicking on "Yes Yes Yes / OK OK OK" to create the USB cloning tools
  5. Shutdown your computer when done

- First Clone: from old m.2 drive to external USB storage

1. Keep the USB stick connected to your PC. Connect the external storage as well, to the USB 3.0 port.
  2. Power on your PC and hit "F12" function key on the keyboard during POST
  3. Select the USB stick as boot device (CAUTION: If boot from USB fail, you may have disable Secure Boot from BIOS) 
  4. When successfully boot into MR recuse interface, choose either "Clone this drive" or "Backup this drive(as image)" to backup old m.2 drive to the external storage. Generally in my own experience, it may take about 45mins per 100GB when running on USB 3.0

- NVMe m.2 drive replacement

Page #18 and #19 on service manual show you location of the m.2 slot and how to replace it.

- Second Clone: from external USB storage to new m.2 drive

1. Keep both the USB stick and the external storage connect to your PC.
  2. Power on your PC and hit "F12" function key on the keyboard during POST
  3. Select the USB stick as boot device
  4. When successfully boot into MR recuse interface, choose "Restore" to clone from backup image file or entire external drive to the new m.2 depends on what method you chose on the 1st clone

If everything followed on the right track, you should now be able to boot from the new m.2 drive.

Feel free to let us know if any further help needed.

573 Posts

February 23rd, 2019 02:00

Hi @Camomilla ,

Seems like you included the H drive as source during image creation. 

1. On Maricum main page, single-click on the hard drive where Windows installed, then click "Image this disk" right underneath. 1.jpg
  2. Select destination by clicking the 3-dots.2.jpg

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

January 26th, 2019 16:00

The RAM upgrade is simply a matter of pulling the old RAM and installing the new RAM. Before you pull the SSD, reboot the system just to be sure the RAM upgrade was successful. If you want to keep everything that is on the old drive then it gets a bit tricky. The way I did it was to clone the M.2 drive to another 2.5" SSD or a 3.5" HDD. Then install the new SSD and clone from the drive with the clone image to the new SSD. Not very elegant but it works. You should not have to touch any BIOS settings as you are replacing one M.2 SSD with another. You can use a 2.5" drive connected to the SATA port on the motherboard. The cables should be there for power and data.It is much faster than using USB.

21 Posts

January 27th, 2019 06:00

Hi, thank you for answering my question :)

I currently have a Seagate external drive I use for backups, could I use this to clone my system? I don't own a second m.2 ssd, just the one currently in my computer that my system is running on. It's a USB drive, I gather from your answer that this is a slower way to do it (but is it doable?). 

I'm finding this a bit intimidating, and wish I had higher upgrade options when I purchased the machine :/ 

If I've understood correctly I would need to

1. Clone my system on to a different drive

2. Swap out the m.2 SSD with the new m.2 SSD

3. Boot the machine with the other drive plugged in

Is it enough to simply have the drive plugged in? Or do I need to hold down any keys or do anything else when booting?

Sorry for asking probably stupid questions, as I said I'm a PC noob :p

/ Cathrine

573 Posts

January 28th, 2019 10:00

POST screen of a PC stand for "Power-on Self-test" during power on. Something like this for Dell:

1.jpg

It allows you to choose different boot up device apart from the default one by hitting a specific function key on keyboard. Such key depends on PC model. For Inspiron AIO 7777, it should be F12.

Do come back with a good news!

21 Posts

January 28th, 2019 10:00

THANK YOU @bmcowboy  for this detailed explanation of necessary steps to take to upgrade my PC :)

I've downloaded both the Setup guide and Service manual you linked to, to get a better understanding of the inner workings of the machine, and have started reading up on those. 

As for RAM, the packaging says 'Dell' and 16 gb on both, and it's the short SODIMM ones. I got help from Dell to purchase these, so I feel confident that they'll work. I'll have to wait for the next paycheck before I can purchase the SSD and USB-stick, but in a couple of weeks I'll hopefully have all the hardware together and can do the upgrade. 

I have one initial question (probably more as I dive deeper into this):

You wrote: 

Power on your PC and hit "F2" function key on the keyboard during POST

What is POST?

/ Cathrine

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

January 28th, 2019 11:00

You most certainly can use the 2.5" Seagate for the clone Destination.

1. Clone the old SSD to the external Seagate using Macrium Reflect free. (which you have installed on your old SSD).

2. Before you remove the old SSD, use Macrium reflect to create a boot USB. You will be booting from the USB with the Seagate plugged in once you replace the old SSD with the new one.

3. Install the new SSD. Then boot from the USB. You may have to press F12 when the Dell splash screen comes on so that you can choose the USB drive to boot from.

Once you boot from the USB you will be running Macrium Reflect Free and can clone from the Seagate to the new SSD.

4. When the cloning is finished shut down the system and disconnect the Seagate drive, remove the USB drive, then boot to the new SSD. The video below should help. It is for a laptop but the procedure is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZqkYnmDnas&t=232s

21 Posts

January 29th, 2019 11:00

How did you go about this @aaronwt? Does this require two Windows computers? I only have this one :/

And I think I might have the Dell Inspiron AIO 7775, not the 7777 like I wrote earlier (where do I find out for sure?). Does this change what key I need to hold down @bmcowboy  or @JOcean ?

Thank you for your patience, all of you!

573 Posts

Don't worry my dear. Still the same function key (F12).

And to check the exact model of your PC, simply open Dell Support Assist. If not installed yet, you may find and install it from Microsoft Store.

1.jpg

1 Rookie

• 

78 Posts

Or just use MAcrium Reflect in Windows without using the boot USB drive. I cloned my three dells this way without any issues. When I installed my NVMe drives.

21 Posts

January 29th, 2019 12:00

*Double post*

21 Posts

January 29th, 2019 13:00

I found it :D Thank you @bmcowboy Inspiron 27 7775 Basic Expires January 28, 2020 Service Tag: Express Service Code: Memory: 16 GB Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor [Cores 8] [Logical/Core 2] Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home

573 Posts

February 23rd, 2019 01:00

It should be fine with both at the same time. Waiting for your good news!

21 Posts

Thank you, fingers crossed I will be back with a success story later :D

21 Posts

Now, finally, I've gotten all the hardware I need to proceed with this upgrade project :D I didn't get a hold of the Samsung 970 Pro SSD m.2, but a 960 pro SSD 1TB, hopefully this will do as well. I've downloaded the Maricum Reflect, and have made the Rescue Media USB-stick. Next in line is for me to clone my drive onto my external drive using my bootable USB-stick. When that's done, the instructions (that I'm following religiously) says to shut down computer and make the harddrive switch. Is it ok for me to do both the RAM and the hard drive-switch in one go? Or should these be two operations? I would like to not have to take the back off my AIO more than I need to. Thanks again for guiding me through this :)
No Events found!