Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

8 Posts

January 13th, 2020 09:00

Inspiron G5-5090, extreme overheating

Hello,

I have just bough this desktop about 8 days ago and its i7-9700 heating to extreme levels just 5-10 minutes in of doing any CPU intensive task due to the horrible stock cooler that comes with it. This stock cooler is nowhere to be seen before buying the product. The marketing material for this product is massively misleading. 

Logging in from the Dell website and selecting it:

DellG5-1.png

You are presented with this this CPU cooler:

DellG5-2.png

which many people (including discussion) base their opinions on. However when the package arrives you are presented with this horrible stock cooler.

Just running the Dell diagnostics that comes with the Desktop itself shows these values, after, get this, 2 minutes. Yes, in 2 minutes you see the CPU running to its TJmax values:

Capture.PNG

Without undervolting the CPU or limiting the FPS it is impossible to prevent throttling, and sometimes resets. I am scared of using it as I fear its going to die any moment.

I have opened support requests and was told that upgrading the cooler shown  is not an option, even if I am willling to pay for what was SUPPOSED to arrive with the Desktop as it was presented in the marketing material. Now the onsite engineer is going to replace the CPU cooler and the thermal paste but the result will be the same regardless.

Can you tell me where I can move this to the next level, to actually pay for getting the cooler which will NOT kill the CPU and which I can use it at least for 1 year?

I obviously don't want to cutout the WELDED backplane to install a custom fan just to have the temperature under control and have it out of warranty.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 13th, 2020 12:00

Guess you already saw that other thread....

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2020 07:00

I had the same problem. I found out that my cpu was overclocked to 4.60Mhz. I got up to 90 degrees celsius. I downloaded Intel Extreme Tuning Unitilty, and went to Basic tuning, and lowered my clock speed to 4.00Mhz. Since that tuning, my cpu never got above 73 degrees celsius. 

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2020 08:00

Sorry i mean 4.60Ghz and 4.00Ghz

April 30th, 2020 23:00

I submit the same request, having not heard it back from them yet. I can't find a reason for them to not honor the advertisement, at our cost.

Maybe try calling the part department and order the heatsink directly?

No Events found!