Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

May 16th, 2018 10:00

Inspiron Gaming 5675, PSU replacement and case mod

I have an Inspiron Gaming 5675 with an SSD, 2 SATA HDs, a Radeon RX 580, a GTX 1050 Ti and a Ryzen 7 1700. Because the GTX 1050 Ti didn't require an additional power connector, I thought I might be able to get away with the standard issue PSU. However, the PSU was running *really* warm and the machine actually shut off a couple of times. Fortunately, I had this old thing: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182039.

Unlike other 5675 owners who have upgraded their PSU, this one didn't require a case mod to fit in the chassis. It actually fit perfectly. However, as you can tell from the reviews, it's not a very reliable unit. I have a much better PSU, a Corsair TX750v2, but just eyeballing it, it doesn't look like it's going to fit.

So can the rear plastic on the 5675 be removed easily, or is it something that would have to be cut off or dremeled away?

110 Posts

June 1st, 2018 22:00

The old Rosewill RV2-600 that I "upgraded" to started making rattling noises, so I had to replace it. For a while I had a Corsair TX-750v2 installed in the PC. It worked, but fit poorly and cable management was a nightmare. Finally, I found this at a local big box retailer:

Corsair CX650M

It doesn't fit quite perfectly, but it was much easier to install than the TX750v2. It's also modular, so cable management is better than even the original power supply. It has no problems powering the GTX 970 and 1050 Ti I currently have installed. The original PSU would get very hot trying to power both GPUs, but this one is nice and cool. The only downside is the thick motherboard and CPU power cables, which would make installing a full length card in the bottom slot difficult (currently I have a smallish 1050 Ti installed there.) And I didn't have to take a hacksaw or dremel to the case.

EDIT: One other minor issue with this new PSU is the lack of the funky DVD-ROM power connector. Not sure if that's available as an adapter, but I don't use the optical drive any way.

No Events found!