Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Message

March 25th, 2019 22:00

Inspiron One 2205, turns on, won't boot to USB

I have a Dell Inspiron One 2205 and the hard drive recently failed so I replaced it with a WD one and the bios recognizes it and I can boot to the diagnostic page and ran the full one and it couldn't find any errors but for some reason it will not boot from a flash drive to install Windows fresh it just has the flashing cursor and I can't get it to do anything else 

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

March 26th, 2019 05:00

Did you use the Windows site to download the media creation tool for Windows 10 or did you use a program such as Rufus to create a bootable USB drive? I have seen problems using anything other than the media creation tool. Also at the Dell splash screen tap F12 and then choose the USB drive.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 26th, 2019 10:00

Just to add...

You need at least a 32-GB USB stick to use the Media Creation Tool @JOcean mentioned. (The Microsoft site may still say a 8- or 16-GB stick. :Ick:)

How are you trying to make it boot from the USB stick? Are you connecting the bootable USB stick to the PC before you power it on? When you power on, you have to press F12 immediately and look for the option to boot from USB on the F12 menu.

No Events found!