Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

January 7th, 2020 17:00

Installing Driver Doesn't Work

I have an Epson Perfection V300 Photo Scanner. It used to be installed on a computer running Windows 7.

I just hooked up the scanner. When I tried to download the driver using Windows automatic search for the drivers function, it told me that no drivers are available.

I went to the Epson website. I found the correct driver and downloaded it. When I click the file, it starts off saying its an Epson scanner file, but then it says it is installing Family Tree Legends (FTL). FTL is a genealogy program I installed that does not work with Windows 10. I uninstalled the program. I ran CCleaner. I restarted the computer. I downloaded the file again. Every time I go to extract the files, it does it as an FTL file. I then ran a different registry cleaner (Wise), and that did not help.

I called Epson and explained the situation. They told me to talk to Dell or Windows.

I am really up a tree! I need to get this scanner functioning. I don't know how else to troubleshoot this. Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

January 7th, 2020 20:00

I looked at the driver file and FTL is not embedded in it. Are you sure you have deleted the install file for FTL? Also try installing the driver in safe mode. I would also suggest downloading and installing Malwarebytes Free then scan your system for any problems. Malwarebytes Free is here.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 7th, 2020 23:00

What model of computer do you have ?

Sounds like some of your file-associations got messed up.

Be sure Windows Explorer is set to NOT hide known file-extensions.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 8th, 2020 06:00

https://epson.com/Support/Scanners/Perfection-Series/Epson-Perfection-V300-Photo/s/SPT_B11B193081

Dell does not support Epson nor does it support Family Tree legends from Pearl Street Software.  Being over 12 years old now means this software was not even out when windows 7 was released in 2009.

That company no longer exists.

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

January 8th, 2020 07:00

rule 2:

CCleaner does not remove you now infected PC,  that application you told is a virus 99% sure.

never load drivers  from non Authoritative   sources!, in your case that is Epson.com

(or from letting Microsoft load the driver, using PnP) but that does not gain the appliacates from EPSON

so there is only URL: safe and that is EPSON.com

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Is this the driver you downloaded? https://epson.com/Support/Scanners/Perfection-Series/Epson-Perfection-V300-Photo/s/SPT_B11B193081 

Since the scanner is old, you should buy a new all in one printer-scanner for windows 10. Old scanners have limited use in windows 10 if they work at all.

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

this thing is old  2008 (12 years old), the book shows , supports window 2000, yah that old.

your manual shows on page 11 this.

Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition o
®
Windows Vista
so you need what, w10 driver , right,  w7 is zero support now.
leaving only 2 choices
1: asking Epson for a driver.
2: or using w10 install compatibility mode . 

I have vast things here the are DOA for w10, scanners, and more,.... I run virtual OS to run relics.

NO URL posted by you of the scammers offering Epsons, drivers (endless this is, vast scammers and virus)
why post lacking that URL first, so we can run virustotal on it for you  and you did not do that first I bet.)

I took the driver apart an is 2009 old,  it is not for w10 at all.  that old. there web page stinks lacking what OS it supports,  for a fact.

that first file there at Epson is passing VIRUSTotal.

the only way to install this old 2009 driver, is with compatibility mode, google that or rear that at Microsoft.com

right click the EXE and set it to w7 to w10 compat mode.

I just ran it and it (w10-64bit) and it shows,  32/64bit win 7 as max support.

learn rule #1, there is never any guarantee any w7 program and for sure driver wrong will work in w10

ever. but sure try.  Y

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 8th, 2020 12:00

I have an Epson V500 scanner which I originally used with XP and then Win 7. Now that I have a new Win 10 PC, I wasn't sure it would still work.

After I connected the V500 to my new PC and powered the scanner on, Win 10 (v1903) automatically said "New hardware detected - installing drivers". I didn't have to download anything manually. All the drivers and even Epson Scan software and all the other handy tools got installed. And it works without having to use software Compatibility Mode for any prior version of Windows.  So I'm puzzled why Win 10 didn't see your V300 and install the drivers/software automatically.

If you have a system restore point available just prior to when you first installed that genealogy software, you might want to revert to that restore point to make sure everything is really gone. Note: You will lose any updates or software installed after the date of the restore point, so you'll have to reinstall those.

Once the restore is done, reboot the PC back to the desktop, make sure it's up-to-date and then run Malwarebytes as @JOcean already said. Then connect the scanner to a USB port and power it on...hopefully....

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

January 8th, 2020 16:00

Yes, that is the driver I tried to install.

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

I downloaded it from Epson.com.  The Family Tree Legends is not a virus. I have used it for years with no problems. It seems that there must be some incompatibility with Win 10. FTL does not work on Win 10. But when I uninstall it, it seems something is left. I repeat, this was NOT an issue with any Windows version prior to 10. I ran it with XP, I ran it with 7, and my scanner installed just fine.

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

I will try safe mode. Thank you. Yes, program is uninstalled.

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

Thank you for what may prove to be the most helpful reply (other than restoring to an old point, which would I would like avoid). Can you tell me how to check this. I am not a computer geek, but I am good at following directions and learning.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 8th, 2020 17:00

@whatever12345678  - Don't know how you uninstalled that genealogy app, but just because it's not visible  doesn't mean it didn't leave junk behind in the registry.

When you do a  Windows System Restore (not a Refresh or Reset), none of your personal files will be affected, but it's always good to back them up on a USB HDD first. Only Windows updates and apps you installed or updated after the date of the Restore will be affected.

To run a System Restore, right-click Start and type: Create Restore Point on the Search line. (Yes, that's strange!)  Click that entry at top of Best Match list in the Search box. When the System Properties screen opens, click the System Restore button. It will offer you a Recommended restore point. If the date of this one isn't before you first tried to install that genealogy app, select Choose a different restore point. And if none of those go back far enough, check the box Show more restore points. Hopefully there's at least one available that's before you installed that app. Choose the latest one before...

Then click Scan for affected programs and make notes or take a screenshot so you have a record of what will need attention after the restore is done.  Good idea to disconnect all peripherals, except mouse, monitor and keyboard, before starting the restore. Then follow the prompts to begin the restore. 

Do not interrupt the restore process and let the PC reboot itself automatically when it's done. If there was an issue with the restore, you'll get a message saying no files were changed, so no harm done. If it completes but something isn't working correctly afterwards, you can always undo the restore by repeating the process and selecting the new restore point that should have been automatically created when you started this process.

Then reboot once more and at the desktop, manually check for Windows updates, anti-viral updates etc. When that's done, connect the scanner and power it on and see if Win 10 does its magic for you...

And don't forget to install/update any apps that were flagged as "affected" when you checked that before running the restore.

Post back and let us know how it goes...

1 Message

January 26th, 2021 21:00

I know this is a year late but for anyone who might still have this problem, try downloading the driver via Firefox rather than Chrome. That worked for me. When using the Chrome download, it always wanted to install the "Excel 2007 Expert Skills" program I used to have. Don't ask me why.

No Events found!