Start a Conversation

Unsolved

1 Rookie

• 

70 Posts

May 29th, 2020 08:00

Intel® HD Graphics 4600 Driver update

Intel has released a new driver for the Intel® HD Graphics 4600 Graphics chip but it will not install on my Inspiron 3647 because the driver currently installed is a Dell modified driver. Does anyone know if Dell will be releasing an updated driver soon. of if not should, assuming there is a way, the new Intel driver be installed in its place?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 29th, 2020 11:00

Always include version of Windows in your posts.

Why are you trying to update the Intel HD Graphics driver? And where did you try to get the update?

Do you only have Intel HD Graphics or do you also have an add-in (NVidia) video card? If you have an add-in video card, Windows should be using that card most/all of the time, so do you really need to update the Intel HD Graphics driver?

IMO, just leave it alone. Even if you only have Intel HD Graphics and manage to install the new Intel driver, it might not work...

Only Dell will know if they plan to offer an update for the Intel video driver but this PC model is getting old(er) and Dell may not release any new video drivers...

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 29th, 2020 12:00

I see you're brave and updated to v2004 already... Is the PC otherwise working without the Intel HD Graphics driver update?

Microsoft posted a list of known bugs with this new Windows update and this one might apply to your issue with Intel Graphics drivers:

Variable refresh rate not working as expected on devices with Intel iGPU

Intel and Microsoft have found incompatibility issues when using a monitor with Variable refresh rate (VRR) plugged into an Intel integrated graphics processing unit (iGPU) display adapter and Windows 10, version 2004 (the Windows 10 May 2020 Update). Enabling VRR on affected devices will not enable the VRR for games using Direct X 9.

Microsoft is recommending users don't manually use the Update Now button or the Media Creation Tool on their site, if that's what you did...

1 Rookie

• 

70 Posts

May 29th, 2020 12:00

Windows 10 (64 Home (ver 2004)

Intel has a program that monitors Intel Products installed on a PC an alerts me of driver updates.

That PC has no PCI card installed. The Video is supplied by the onboard graphics processor.

1 Rookie

• 

70 Posts

May 29th, 2020 16:00

Actually the only PC (of 4) that has offered to update to 2004 through the Windows Update and Security control panel was the Inspiron 3647 so I took a chance to see what would happen.

I had a Dell OEM version of a Nvidia GT 720 laying around that I had replaced with a more substantial Graphics Card in my Dell XPS8700 PC so I installed it in the 3647 (I had never paid any attention to the fact the 3647 actually had a couple of PCI expansion slots until today). That resolved the Intel issue by replacing the GPU (disabled the Intel GPU in Device manager, for whatever reason there doesn't appear to be a way to disable the onboard GPU chip in BIOS). I'm now running the latest Nvidia Driver and everything is working fine (it even resolved an annoyance I had with the fact the Dell BIOS Splash screen was displaying in the wrong aspect ratio).

I wish Microsoft would make a better effort at resolving issues with their major Windows 10 upgrades before they release them on the user base (and then tell us, "by the way you probably shouldn't update...").

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 29th, 2020 17:00

Microsoft rolls these updates out in "waves" so not surprising v2004 was only offered to you on one PC. But you still were brave to try it so soon, even on just one PC. And -hopefully- you'll delay installing it on all your other PCs for a while to give them a chance to fix these bugs and the all bugs yet to be found...

We all wish MS would do a better job with their updates. How could they have possibly missed this issue with Intel HD Graphics drivers? I might understand if this was some obscure hardware that few ever heard of and even fewer actually use, but an Intel HD Graphics driver...???  

There have been other reports about wrong aspect ratio on splash screens, but I don't remember exactly which models they were. Looks funny and probably happens because Windows hasn't loaded the video drivers when you see that screen, but it has no impact on PC function, before or after Windows loads the drivers and gets to the desktop...

Post back and let us know if you find any other issues with v2004 on this PC because that could help other users with the same model...

No Events found!