Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

April 28th, 2018 13:00

Non-standard/Undersized ata power connector on slim dvd unit in inspiron 5675--Adapter?

If this was answered I apologize I looked all over the forum couldn't find anything.

I like my 5675 what i don't like is the tiny power supply at some point I want a second graphics card and i am pretty certain from long experience that the stock 430W? power supply isn't going to be able to handle the demands on it well or at all.  I have a m2 pcie in here now and the spinner that came with it also going to snatch my terabyte ssd from my old system and maybe one more ssd as well.  The ssd don't suck much but the graphics cards need lots of clean power to work properly.  I also know that an overstressed power supply dies an early death over one that is not stressed.

I've been reading the threads on power supplies with a lot of interest I've built systems for years but it sounds like what was a great psu in the good old days is not so much anymore in some cases.  I'm also seeing that where the plugs are etc. might restrict which units work in the stock case.  Which is a nicely designed case for sure, takes a minute to figure out how to get some of the panels off but not bad.  The first thing I noticed when in the machine was the non-standard power connector on the slim dvd drive that comes in here.  It looks like an SATA power connector but it's about half the size of a standard power connector just a bit smaller than the data connector.  I'm kinda guessing this might be Dell's replacement for the old three pin things that were for floppy drives and a couple of other components like fan controllers and temp displays etc.

So say I settle on a third party power supply, where do i get an adapter to get power to the slim dvd? 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 28th, 2018 15:00

@suemccartinwrote:

1. but the graphics cards need lots of clean power to work properly.  I also know that an overstressed power supply dies an early death over one that is not stressed.

2. what was a great psu in the good old days is not so much anymore in some cases. 

3. It looks like an SATA power connector but it's about half the size of a standard power connector just a bit smaller than the data connector. 

1. Correct on both statements :Yes:

2. I like mid-level Corsair with modular-cables

3. Is this it at Amazon ? Slimline SATA power-cable

88 Posts

April 30th, 2018 10:00

yes that amazon url looks like what I need (11.00 eww).  I've been reading all the threads about the power supply, what Dell wants for the official 850 is insane and that's not even new.  Is this perhaps the same power supply as in the alienware aurora or area 51? 

ebay power supply.JPGWhen I had the machine open I don't remember it being modular in there but if this is the same power supply as what's in the 5675 i'm a lot more willing to pay 90.00 than 300.00 for sure.  Wiring harness next bit of fun if the one in the 5675 is modular one can hope it all just plugs in. 

At least some of the model/part number information appears the same even if it is not touted as specifically for the 5675.  I know dell has to make money someplace but if I'd been given the option of an upgraded psu when I bought it i would have done that then.  And why o why is it only reconditioned parts when you call their parts department, you ask why and you're handed some malarchy about not being able to sell anything except reconditioned. 

Is that to the public or is that to everyone so if a shop calls and wants a part are they being sold new or do they also get reconditioned, makes no sense.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 30th, 2018 11:00

@suemccartinwrote:

what Dell wants for the official 850 is insane and that's not even new.  Is this perhaps the same power supply as in the alienware aurora or area 51? 

Not sure what one you are talking about exactly (maybe if you have a DPN) ... but probably, yes:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/850W-EPA-Bronze-PSU-Liquid-Cooled-Chassis/m-p/6072291#M3371

If you buy one, try to get the Delta-made one instead of the Huntkey.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Alienware-Aurora-R7-PSU-Upgrade/m-p/6071624#M3334

and

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/alienware-aurora-r6-power-supply/m-p/6070833/thread-id/3317

No Events found!