Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

February 25th, 2018 19:00

Nothing works but clock on screen!

I have an Inspirion One 2330 that suddenly stopped working. I can only power it on or off by pressing the button on the side of the computer. The touchscreen doesn’t work. The keyboard doesn’t work. The mouse doesn’t work. Can I please get some help as this is extremely frustrating?!?

4 Posts

February 25th, 2018 21:00

How would I access the bios? I don’t think I still have that disk

18 Posts

February 25th, 2018 21:00

When you say the keyboard and mouse don't work does that include before the operating system loads? Can you access the bios? Do you have a bootable disk that you can boot from to see if they work when not booted from the operating system?

18 Posts

February 26th, 2018 08:00

Usually by pressing F2 as soon as you see the Dell logo. If the keyboard is working you should get the BIOS. You could also press F12 instead of F2 and that should give you the boot menu. If you are able to get either of these then the keyboard is responding and the mouse likely would as well. If you use F12 you may find the diagnostics there that you could use to test the system.

If you have someone that can create a Windows 10 installation disk (I'm assuming you have Windows 10) boot from it and the system there is controlled by the keyboard and mouse. Another opportunity to check the hardware.

One website talked about interrupting the boot process 3 or 4 times will cause Windows to self repair. At the end of the repair there will be options that you can access using a mouse or keyboard.

These are just to verify if your input devices are working. You could also try another keyboard/mouse set to see if you get the same results.

If you get into Windows 10 repair and your keyboard/mouse do work then there will be options to restore your system, using System Restore, to an earlier point when the computer was behaving correctly.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

February 26th, 2018 14:00

Possibly caused by recent Microsoft Windows update. Several threads about this problem.

Read this one.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

February 26th, 2018 18:00

4 Posts

February 28th, 2018 21:00

Thanks for the solutions but nothing worked. I must be computer illiterate so I give up I’ll try calling customer service eventually.

4 Posts

February 28th, 2018 21:00

I was able to diagnose and it said everything was fine but I can’t seem to get to the system restore option, thanks anyway!

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

March 1st, 2018 11:00

Guess you may have to create a bootable USB stick with Win 10 on it. Boot from that stick and start a repair of Win 10.

You can download the Win 10 ISO file for free from Microsoft along with instructions to create a bootable USB.

Sure hope your personal files are backed up on external media, just in case...

No Events found!