Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 6th, 2019 09:00

[SOLVED] Inspiron 537, SSD, fresh install of Windows

I would like to do two things to speed up my parents' old Inspiron 537: 1. Fresh reinstall of Windows 2. Install new internal SSD system drive My questions: 1. How do I do a fresh install of Windows? Do I need their OEM Windows CD? Or is there an image on the HDD? 2. Is there a port on the motherboard to connect a SATA 2.5 internal SSD?

March 8th, 2019 06:00

UPDATE: I removed the 360gb HDD from the Inspiron 537 and replaced it with a 500gb SSD from WD. Plugged in SATA power cable and SATA data cable and turned on PC with gray market Windows 7 DVD I bought on Ebay (as I didn't want to bother with installing Windows Vista and then upgrading to Windows 7). I had been concerned that the SSD drive would not be detected. I had the F6 Intel drivers ready in case I need to install them during the Windows install. But I didn't need to. The computer detected the SSD drive and installed Windows without any problems.

I did encounter one problem, however. When I tried to place the SSD drive (which was mounted in a Corsair SSD mounting bracket 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch) it didn't fit perfectly. Or rather the holes on the Corsair didn't line up perfectly with the only place in the case I could find. I managed to get one screw to line up, barely. So the SSD is less secure in the case than I would like. But as long as the mid tower stays on the floor and does not move, it should be okay. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 6th, 2019 09:00

Windows 7 is end of life and end of support in 2020.

No difference for install of SSD vs Hard drive.

Advanced format drives require F6 mass storage drivers.

Its more than a one line sound byte explaining that.

The 537 uses INTEL G33 express chipset and  INTEL RST 10.1.0.1008 F6 Drivers.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20104/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-RAID-for-Intel-5-Series-Chipset-Based-Desktop-Boards

Which file to choose

Download the driver STOR_allOS_10.1.0.1008_PV.exe and one of the following F6 driver diskettes, depending on your operating system:

• STOR_F6_32_10.1.0.1008_PV.exe - for 32-bit versions of Windows 7*, Windows Vista* or Windows XP

• STOR_F6_64_10.1.0.1008_PV.exe - for 64-bit versions of Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP

You have to run the file or rename the EXE to .ZIP and extract the drivers to the root of a USB flash drive so that you can specify pointing to them. 

March 6th, 2019 17:00

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it. I have some follow up questions about the Inspiron 537 MT:

1. Regarding the Intel drivers, are you saying that I need install these if I decide to use an SSD as my system drive? (I don't plan on creating RAID configuration.)
  2. Regarding the OS, I plan on doing a clean install with the Windows Vista 64 bit DVD that came with the computer. Once I do that, I would like to upgrade to Windows 7. Back in 2009, Dell allowed us to do that. Is there a way to do that again?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 8th, 2019 08:00

Has nothing to do with RAID.

Has everything to do with Advanced Format Drives.

Drives larger than 120 gigs and made after 2011 are ALL Advanced Format.

Intel Matrix Storage Manager is what Vista and 7 have.

https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/error-installing-windows-7-on-advanced-format-disk-drives-218571en/

larger physical sector sizes called Advanced Format. The default sector size has been 512 bytes since 1981. Advanced Format sectors are also called 4K sectors because each physical sector now holds 4096 bytes.

Microsoft Support article: "Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer's hardware" installation error on a Windows 7-based or a Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466753

No Events found!