Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2018 20:00

U3818DW, Acer desktop, AMD Radeon R7, losing DP signal

Hello folks,I have a brand new Dell UltraSharp U3818 DW curved monitor and it's more than I hoped.  I have downloaded the user's manual and made sure my connections are all in order.  As you can tell by my nickname, I'm not tech savvy but I am quite able to read the instructions so I think it's all good.  Recently, I've been booting along, in various sessions and I will get kicked out of whatever window I'm in..... and a pop up tells me "DP no signal received", "scanning for signal" etc. etc.  My only solution to date has been to unplug my DP cable from the monitor and plug it back in, then in a moment or two, it's fine....until the next time.  As this is brand new, (1 month old) I would assume the cable wouldn't be defective or it would be doing it all the time.  It's completely random and doesn't care if I'm in the middle of a game, or browsing the net, it just happens.  Any thoughts before I contact Dell Support?  I might add I'm up to date with updates, video cards etc.

Thanks to anyone who has a solution.

Ontheslowside.

July 6th, 2018 21:00

I want to thank all who responded to my question and let me tell you how it was solved.  I only share this because there might be others who are non-savvy and I would hopefully save them some trouble.  When I got my new dell monitor, I read the manual word for word and followed the instructions the same way.  As this was quite an upgrade for me, I thought ALL the various cords were necessary.  When I put everything together, the manual suggested plugging in everything, and so I did, not realizing all I really needed were the power cord and the HDMI cord.  The DP cord was plugged into the monitor but there was no port that fit it on my tower, so THAT's why I kept getting the no signal popup.  I spoke with an expert who explained that just because there's a million cords that come with these things, not all are necessary.  Duh!   I'm using the HDMI & power cords only and it's all good.

I'm not really eager to explain my idiocy, it seems so obvious now, but I truly thought that everything needed to be hooked up, and I completely forgot there was no port for my DP cord.  I apologize for wasted time, but I sincerely thank all who replied and hopefully if there's someone like me out there, this might help.

Have a great weekend!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 4th, 2018 08:00

Explain what model computer is connected to the monitor and how it is connected. Any adapters or docking station? What model video card? The problem might be the computer or connection not the monitor. Can you connect it to another computer to test? Check it out before contacting support.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 4th, 2018 13:00

@Ontheslowside wrote:

I have a brand new Dell UltraSharp U3818 DW curved monitor

in various sessions and I will get kicked out of whatever window I'm in..... and a pop up tells me "DP no signal received", "scanning for signal" etc. etc. 

It's really best to try this monitor and cable on a different computer. See if the problem follows the monitor or computers.

While it might not be convenient, it's really the best preliminary troubleshooting step. This way, you can know if it's the monitor/monitor-cable OR the computer ... so you can focus on fixing the right machine.

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

July 4th, 2018 16:00

And mention version of Windows too. :Idea:

July 4th, 2018 20:00

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  Your advice is welcome and I will try your suggestions.

July 4th, 2018 20:00

Thank you, I will try your suggestions.  It's an Acer desktop, 1 yr old. The connection is DP port on monitor to DP port on desktop...no adapters or docking station.  Video card is AMD Radeon R7 Series.  Thanks for taking the time to reply.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 4th, 2018 21:00

@Ontheslowside wrote:

The connection is DP port on monitor to DP port on desktop...no adapters or docking station.  

Good. Sounds like "native" DisplayPort and plain DisplayPort cable. That's really the best way to run DisplayPort.

Community Manager

• 

54.4K Posts

July 5th, 2018 08:00

So to date we know =

Acer desktop
AMD Radeon R7 Series
U3818DW

And this is your setup ?
AMD Radeon R7 DP out port --> U3818DW DP to DP cable --> U3818DW DP in port

* What is the desktop resolution?
* Press the U3818DW Menu button, go to Others- Display Info. What is listed there?
* What specific Acer desktop model?
* What operating system?
* What specific AMD Radeon R7 video card?

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

July 9th, 2018 10:00

Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for sharing your findings...

The User's Guide says under Connecting Your Monitor: "NOTE: Do not connect all cables to the computer at the same time."

So maybe Dell needs to change that to: "NOTE: Do not connect all cables to the monitor at the same time."

Or perhaps be even more specific: "NOTE: Connect only one video cable between PC and monitor."   :Wink:

No Events found!