Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2020 12:00

Upgrading Dell Inspiron 620 GPU

Hi All,

I have a wonderful 2011 Dell Inspiron 620, that runs like a champ. The problem is it doesn't play games very well, minus minesweeper. I want to upgrade the GPU to play new aged games i.e assassin's creed, gta 5, cyberpunk 2020 when it comes out, etc. I upgraded the PSU to a Corsair 650 TXM (I think those are the initials), the i3 2120 to a i5-2500k, the RAM to DDR3 8x2, and i'm adding a Crucial 500gb SSD (which should be here today via mail). My problem is that I didn't realize that the good "now-a-days" GPUs wouldn't work on it. I originally bought a RX-5700, only to find out it was too long, so I next bought a EVGA RTX 2060, though it wouldn't get past the splash screen, couldn't even enter bios. Called EVGA, only for them to tell me that my comp was too old. I'm okay spending around 300 range, and last night found a ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Mini 8GB on Amazon (used/refurbed) for 350, which I was thinking was a steal. I looked on userbenchmark and there are 7 builds using the gtx 1080, so i'm hoping that the mini will work. Can anybody confirm if the GTX 1080 mini will work? If not, can anyone give me some suggestions of a semi-powerful GPU that would work? Or maybe I should just scrap the motherboard and replace that? If I did, could I port my HD over? I don't want to lose Windows 10 that I have on it.

Thanks in advance!

2 Intern

• 

128 Posts

February 5th, 2020 17:00

Zotac's 1080Ti mini works with that PSU on the 620.  Under $500.  I found the one that I put in on the online auction site.

BTW, the CPU, SSD and PSU you chose are just right to beef it up.  Think about it, an i9 9900K is only 85% faster.

Although I put in a 2700K, it only benches a touch more than the super affordable 2500K.

So, you have 16GB in yours?  Mine has 4GBx2.  I thought that 8GB was as large as I could put in.

David

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 5th, 2020 15:00

Search is your friend...

Have you read this thread, this thread, this thread, and all the others threads on this topic for possible GPU upgrades in the 620?

February 5th, 2020 20:00

I'll check back in on Friday on whether it worked, but I'm a lot more confident knowing that the 1080ti works. Thanks for that info, and if for some reason the 1080 mini doesnt, I guess the 1080ti will be my next try

Crazy enough, I read all 3 of those, but none answered my question, so i figured I'd post my own. I searched "620" in the search bar and read both pages of result, not finding an answer. Those threads talk about specific cards. The first is kind of close but was 2 yrs old, and since the 2060 I was talking about came out last year I felt my question was different enough to ask. Also, since not a single talked about the 1080, I figured it warranted a question, hoping someone had tried. Thank you tho for checking my ability to use the search feature

I legit debated ripping out my mbd and replacing that with something a lot newer and going with the 9100f instead, but then found the 2500k for 25 on Ebay, so I just went with that option. Especially since cpu isnt as big in gaming as it is in video editing or graphic design, which I plan to do none of either. Userbenchmark has been my best friend toying around for the past month debating on what to do. the only thing it let me down on was the compatibility of the gpu when making the build. Today, I looked thru all 22 pgs of other people's build using the 620 mbd, and didnt see the 5700 or 2060 on there. That should have been my first clue. Lol. Yeah I bought a patriot 8x2 ddr3 off of amazon for 65. Works great. Bios reads 16384 mb.

2 Intern

• 

128 Posts

February 6th, 2020 06:00

The 1080 Ti is not that much faster than a 1080 (20%) and costs 1/3 more.  Zotac had a bunch for sale at $430 and I bought a couple.  Now the cheapest I can find is used for $500.  The deal you are getting on the online retailer sounds very good.

2 Intern

• 

128 Posts

February 6th, 2020 06:00

TKS so much for the info about the RAM.  I had four extra 8GB sticks and have already put in two into a 620S backup that I have and it worked.  I will put in the other two into my mother's 620 on Friday.

Appreciate that RAM info.  This is where it helps to see what others have done.  I was also using UserBenchmark a lot.

David

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

February 6th, 2020 08:00

"mini will work" what is  mini? (no url link no photos posted no joy)

this word mini ONLY HAS MEANING on Zotac web site,  ok,  cute,

it means the card is length shortest , and no thing else and is MT sized height,

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

February 6th, 2020 08:00

the word mini is distraction , only zotac words only there.

you have  620MT,!   the only clue is going to the Corsair web site and forcing me to learn that, how sad.?

any card will run there  this PC seen here.

these work,  and are supported by the maker, read it .

2 Intern

• 

128 Posts

February 6th, 2020 15:00

Guess you did not read original post, eh?  OP put in Corsair 650W supply.

A gen 4 Haswell 4770 like my Dell XPS8700 had is only 16% faster than the 2500K OP installed.

The Zotac Mini 1080 Ti fits just fine in a 620.  Zotac makes a whole line of nice Mini cards.  Full Height, but not too long.

What you are missing is the "puzzle" aspect of the optimization.  It is a lot of fun to make something work as fast as possible and keep it competitive for another five or ten years.  A 9900K is only twice as fast as the 2500K and a lot more $$$.

For me, it is a lot of hoops to jump with my wife to buy a new computer.  So I am just fixing it so that it will last longer before we have to buy a new one.

David

2 Intern

• 

128 Posts

February 7th, 2020 19:00

Just put in the second pair of 8GB sticks into my mother's 620.  Worked great.  TKS for the heads up.

David

February 8th, 2020 05:00

David, you are living my life. Lol. Wanted to upgrade my old so itll last a long time, and not have to spend more than I had to. Popped in the 1080 mini last night, works like a charm  Userbenchmarked it and got and 86 gaming, then realized I forgot to make the ssd the 1st drive  Did that, and now my 620 is a gaming beast. A lot of old games I'm excited to play right off the bat: witcher 1, 2, elder scrolls 4, builders gate, fallout new Vegas. I'm a huge rpg fan, and never had a good enough PC to play these classics. Played withcer 3, skyrim, fallout 4 for ps4. Also I did try to take pictures but when I tried thru the site it said something about megapixels too high or something, so I gave up. 

Also, glad to hear your memory upgrade is working!

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

February 8th, 2020 07:00

so now I know what MINI means,

it's only a zotac claim, for smallest Full sized 129mm tall cards for 620MT, now for sure we know it is  MT.

not just the vague Corsair references.

most short length card is that,  mini,  by Zotac.

I could put 100s of cards that 620MT and all word work every  one, only speed and different ports and vram.

I too upgrade all PCs here to the max,  but not older than i3 CPU. not me, unless doing tests for others.

2 Intern

• 

128 Posts

February 8th, 2020 11:00

I am so glad you mentioned teh 16GB RAM.  I never even thought to try it since the manual only mentioned up to 2x4GB sticks.  Made a lot of difference to the 620 and 620s.  I will run a userbenchmark on my mother's machine tonight.  Glad the 1080 worked out so great for you.

My gaming is 101 with the 1080Ti.  Right now the Desktop is 64 and the Workstation is 43.  This was with 8GB RAM.  Am curious to see if 16GB RAM changes the Desktop and Workstation ratings. (2/9/20) Updated with 16GB RAM - 103 Gaming, 65 Desktop, 49 Workstation.  So the RAM helps on the Workstation rating.

BTW, I had the same blank screen using some of the newer cards on the 620 and 620s.  Only the MSI 1050Ti low profile worked for me on the 620s.  Gigabyte 1050Ti LP and a pair of 1650 LP cards both blanked on me.  When I put the same cards in the 620, they failed also.  Luckily they were from the large online retailer and was able to easily return them.  I was very pleased that the Zotac fit my 620 and worked so well with the Corsair 650 PSU, as you have found out.

Which brand of SSD did you put in?

I have used Crucial and Samsung and like both.  Samsung's Migration tool is great and the Samsung Magician makes it easy to benchmark and update the SSD ROM.  Crucial also has an SSD ROM update tool that I have used.  Sorry for going off topic.

David

No Events found!