Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

U

March 16th, 2018 11:00

boot up issue

I have a Dell Inspiron All-In-One 2320 Desktop. After about a year, when I powered up I began to get this message:

"The AC power adapter type and wattage cannot be determined. The system performance is unpredictable. Please connect a Dell 180W AC adapter and restart. Press the F1 key to Continue or press power button to shutdown."

My computer tech told me my AC adapter was bad, so I ordered a new one from Dell. However, I still get the message. If I hit F1 and continue, the computer boots and I don't seem to have any problem. However, two things: (1) I wonder if I am harming my computer without knowing it, and (2) though this is not a major inconvenience, it is a minor one that becomes irritating after a while.

Thanks. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 16th, 2018 12:00

Since you replaced the adapter and still get the error message, the fault may be on the PC side of things.

Has anything happened that might have damaged the power port on the rear of the PC?

Is the power port on the PC loose on the back of the case?

Has the adapter plug been pushed into the port too hard or has the adapter plug been pulled out at an angle instead of straight out, either of which might have damaged the port?

When you connect the adapter to the port, is the plug loose in the port?

What version of BIOS is running?

If you reboot and immediately  press F2, can you get into BIOS setup? If you can, copy down all the current BIOS settings, to be safe. Then click the Exit option and choose Load Defaults. See if that helps.

NOTE: If you get an error message(s), aside from the adapter error, after resetting BIOS to the defaults, reboot and press F2 again. Make sure all BIOS settings match what you copied, or change to match. Then use the Exit>Save Changes options.

No Events found!