Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

April 9th, 2018 18:00

100% Disk Usage - New Computer

Hi everyone,

I bought my Inspiron 14 3000 a couple of weeks ago, and in the few uses I've had, I noticed it to be a bit slow in fairly simple tasks (and noisy, but it could be just me), specially considering it was brand new.

Checking the Task Manager, I realized that just by turning on the computer, Disk Usage goes straight to 100% and stays there. The most demanding tasks vary, but usually are (excuse me if I don't write them down correctly, my computer is in Spanish): 'System', 'Microsoft Store', McAfee Management Service, wsappx and Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry.

What can be done? I've read a few topics but they seem older, so I'd though about asking it here.

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

April 10th, 2018 05:00

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to look into this for you & ensure that this is resolved at the earliest.

Has there been any recent software or hardware changes made?

Please run a hardware diagnostic by following this link http://bit.ly/2fJuGXB

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

2 Posts

April 10th, 2018 09:00

Hi Sreejith,

Thanks for your help. Where can I find the Service Tag?

I can send the details when I arrive home, I'll check the hardware diagnostic you sent me.

Regarding the changes made, I just installed Firefox, RStudio and Anaconda, and updated the Dell and Windows updates the system requested me.

In fact yesterday I installed a Windows update, rebooted, and Disk Usage after several minutes dropped below 100%, however it still went up to 100% in a couple of occassions for no apparent reason. 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 11th, 2018 07:00

." Where can I find the Service Tag " ?

:BigSmile:

How to find Dell Service Tag (Official Dell Tech Support)  

1 Message

July 27th, 2018 10:00

I have the same issue!!!

NOTHING FIXES IT!

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

July 27th, 2018 11:00

Are you running R-Studio in a virtual environment, or under Linux.  This software has some pretty stiff hardware requirements - and your system is very low-end hardware-wise.

13 Posts

July 27th, 2018 12:00

Had the same issue. If the laptop is in fact new and you are going through your first round of updates, it's caused by a gigantic creator update followed by a firmware update then a Bios update. If you do not have a fast internet connection it's going to take longer for your laptop to sort out what it needs to do. Be patient, it took a few hours for me and once all the updates completed with a few reboots all is well. It's not an app...takes time to get things done.

August 5th, 2018 21:00

I would like to follow up on this as well. I have a brand new Inspiron 15 7000 2-in-1 laptop. 

A few things worth mentioning:

• Crashed and rebooted itself on first usage.
  • Seems to work fine after restart. I installed Dropbox plugin and began to sync my files. I paused the sync after some time thinking that it was causing the system lag.
  • System updated the Updated BIOS. 
  • System Disk Usage is constantly at 100% even on very light usage (say notepad running). 
  • I have Adobe Creative Cloud. System is pretty much unusable even if none of my Adobe apps are running.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Paul

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

August 6th, 2018 03:00

Check to see whether you're downloading an installing a WIndows update -- there will be a few large ones on first powerup, and they will tax the system until they're done.

That said, this not a suitable system for Adobe Creative Cloud -- it's the equivalent of pulling a 5,000 pound trailer with a Toyota Camry.

December 25th, 2018 00:00

If your problem was never resolved, be prepared to have to reboot your computer several times a day. Is the problem intermittent as seems to be the persistent case amongst many users with this problem (there are actually hundreds of comments and suggestions on the awareness of this problem)? Does the PC hang as you are describing and then occasionally return to normal functionality, before eventually freezing up, after a period of normal functioning? 

9.4K Posts

February 5th, 2019 05:00

Hi Dave Dave,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Please post your computer's model number so that a more specific answer can be given.

Here is information from the Dell Knowledge Base you may find helpful:

How to Fix Hard Drive Disk 100% Usage

If you still need assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request.

February 5th, 2019 05:00

NOTHING FIXES IT

February 20th, 2019 10:00

because Dell Computer has no actual fixes. It is your problem, to fix on your own...

March 14th, 2019 18:00

My laptop is no longer under warranty because I avoided ever using it. That video is bull. Your company sells defective products. Good day.

2 Posts

April 28th, 2019 21:00

I've just got a new Dell and I'm facing the same problem. However, it started after bios upgrade. I think it's something related to it.

Another thing: Dell support **bleep**...

3 Posts

December 5th, 2019 05:00

Been living with this problem since I bought this laptop in 2017. Hardly used the laptop in the last two years.

Dell Support replaced the motherboard twice, HDD once but still no relief. Finally installed Ubuntu so that I could use it for some work. Ubuntu worked wonderfully well on it. However Windows continued to be pain. 100% disk usage problem occurs even after a fresh installation of Windows.

Yesterday I finally changed the internal HDD to an SSD bought in 2015-16 for my older laptop, and it now works like a beast. Replaced the DVD drive with the internal HDD using a Caddy. Not facing any issues with it.

Seems like Dell gave us all a laptop with a configuration (motherboard/CPU) that did not support this HDD for Windows OS. It should probably have had a different HDD or an SSD in the first place

No Events found!