Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MO

July 19th, 2018 05:00

32 GB eMMC

question about machines with the 32 GB eMMC hard drive - how do you extend that? I mean can we just use a flash or a sd card with a bigger size? -

we need to upgrade the windows but it says we don't have enough room - there was a discussion I read about Realtek files and it was so beyond my head - I get that windows is using all the ridiculously small hard drive dell sold me - but how do I work around it easily and cost effectively : )

thank you !

247 Posts

32 Gb in my opinion should never be on a Windows PC. 64 Gb is even questionable with Windows 10 getting two major upgrades every year. You can use a SD card to increase file storage and it comes in handy to help perform those upgrades. 

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

There is no way to extend the 32G.  You CAN use a flash card for storage, but you cannot change the size of the boot drive.

You CAN make a set of recovery material (16G or larger flash drive required), and then remove the system image from the drive, which will free up needed space.  You can also run a disc cleanup to clear out unused files.  You can also turn off the system restore to free up space it otherwise would take.

July 19th, 2018 10:00

we've run disc clean up several times - she stores literally nothing on this pc - except for office and windows there is nothing on it - and yet she does not have the 8 gb required to upgrade the windows 10....

if we do the hard restart will it upgrade automatically ? what will she lose beside the office which we can reload

also she keeps getting a message saying the pc will shut down [sounding permanent] if she doesn't upgrade this has been going on since Feb - so I feel like a bomb is ticking and i'm going to get **bleep** for not paying attention on this 'great deal' from dell - which actually stinks

thanks for your help by the way - just totally lost on this one and she's beginning the mid summer panic : )

1 Message

March 24th, 2021 14:00

You could install Ubuntu Linux and partition the eMMC to wipe out the recovery partition doubling your space.  Plus Linux uses way less space than Windows.  It only takes a short time to be up and running and a happy Linux user.  You can get all the help you need simply by typing in a browser window, Ubuntu "and your question".

No Events found!