Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

March 8th, 2019 02:00

7567 M.2 SSD

My laptop is Inspiron 15 7567. I'd like to know M.2 SSD slot properties in it.
What interface does it support (e.g. PCIe 3.0x2, PCIe 3.0x4, SATA III)? As far, as I know, NVMe SDD means PCIe interface (but which one?)
Is there any memory cap for it (256, 512, 900 etc)?
What SDD's geometrical properties are suitable for this slot? Will it support 2280 (22mm width, 80mm lenght) SSD or does it support less/more wide/long SSDs? Is there any depth limit (does it support double-sided SSD)?
Maybe any other tips?

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

March 8th, 2019 04:00

The specs for the M.2 slot are as follows. And it is 2280.

Storage specifications.

Interface
  • SATA 6 Gbps
  • PCIe/NVMe
Hard drive One 2.5-inch drive (SATA)
Solid-state drive One M.2 drive (SATA or PCIe/NVMe)

As far as storage capacity Crucial guarantees compatibility up to and including 1 TB. As far as the other properties, the following forum posts should help. And note the user post that stated even tech support was not sure of the specific characteristics of the SSD slot. Possibly another forum user can help fill in the blanks.

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Wich-SSD-M-2-NVMe-is-the-correct-for-Dell-Inspiron-Gamer-7567/td-p/5890918

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/inspiron-15-gaming-7567-M2-ssd-question/td-p/5104877

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 8th, 2019 12:00

As JOcean mentions, you can run either a SATA or NVMe drive in the M.2 slot, it is joint use.  How that slot functions depends on the SATA controller setting in the Bios.  These systems are shipped with it being set to RAID which enables the Intel controller for the drive.  The OEM NVMe drives are pre-configured to work this way.

If you want to use the NVMe controller, the SATA setting needs to be set to AHCI.  The drive does give good performance even with the Intel driver in the OEM configuration.   It will also function as a 4 lane NVMe drive if you have an OEM driver.  I would not suggest depending on the Microsoft NVMe driver.

I am currently running a 500 GB Samsung drive on my system but I also see no problem with a larger drive.  I do not believe there is a heat sink for the M.2 slot, so the size of the drive may come into play.

21 Posts

March 8th, 2019 14:00

Why would you not use the microsoft NVMe driver?

Also I thought the 7567 only had 2 PCIe lanes on the M2 slot?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 8th, 2019 16:00

@fr4nk1ynBecause when I was testing using a Samsung drive, the performance of the Microsoft driver was poor compared to the OEM Samsung driver.  I have not tested the Microsoft driver again in the last year.

If a drive does not have its own OEM driver, it might be best to use the Intel driver since it seems to do pretty well.  But of course, doing your own testing is the best way to decide what you want.

1 Message

November 14th, 2019 20:00

I have no detailed knowledge of the ports and drive selection. However, these are what I found through my experience with my dell Inspiron 7567. Hopefully will help anyone who wants to upgrade their machine.

I have upgraded my bootable stock M.2 ssd, Liteon 128GB to Samsung 1TB 970 evo plus NVME. I don't want to reinstall my OS hence I chose to clone my Liteon ssd to Samsung ssd using free Minitool Partition Wizard (suggested by youtube).  Before cloning, I make sure my BIOS is set to AHCI thus my Wndows 10 is already installed in my Liteon ssd with this setting. Samsung ssd is connected to my laptop through usb port, I used usb nvme enclosure made by Ugreen.

After cloning, I replace my Liteon ssd with Samsung ssd and boot the system. Initially Windows 10 can not boot. In the recovery mode, I select boot in safe mode.  Once the laptop is able to boot in the safe mode, I restart the system again. Then the system can boot normally to Windows 10. After that I installed Samsung NVME driver obtained from their website. 

I also have another 2.5 inch Toshiba ssd replacing the original hdd as well.  Both the M.2 Samsung NVME ssd and 2.5in ssd work well in my system.  

1 Message

April 22nd, 2020 18:00

HI! TO BE SURE: 960 OR 970? THANKS A LOT!

PS: READING ÓTHER POST... SOMEONE SAYS THAT 970 DOESN'T WORK ON INSPIRON 7567 (GAMING 15")

REGARDS!

1 Message

September 10th, 2020 21:00

well i decided to upgrade from sata m.2 (the one with 2 slots-b) to a WD black nvme (1 slot-m) and installed OS fine, then doing the windows updates i kept getting "Blue screen of death"

its not running (slower) like it was when the old m.2 installed. every 5 minutes i would see it was stuck doing the countdown in the blue screen.  The WD black was a new unopened package. 

Put the old m.2 back in, and run just like before. So i dont think the Nvme works in the Dell 7567. At least mine didn't like it. 

No Events found!