Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

4 Posts

December 1st, 2018 07:00

BIOS update - corrupted

A week ago, Dell suggested an automatic update for my Dell Inspiron G7 15, which included an update for BIOS. After connecting my laptop to the power supply and the BIOS update was over, it restarted. That was the last time it ever went past POST.

Now it won't boot up at all. It gets stuck at POST. It makes no sound at all, the led is flashing white as always (that means there is no problem with my components) and won't show anything on screen. My guess is that Dell recommend an unsopported update for my motherboard.

I read it is possible to flash the BIOS using an USB drive, but I can't get past POST to do that. I tried disconmecting my battery and waiting for 10 hours, still nothing. How can I reinstall the BIOS in this scenario? Is there anything I can do?

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 1st, 2018 08:00

Hopefully the BIOS is not corrupt to the point that it bricked the motherboard. Have you tried to remove the CMOS (coin cell) battery yet? If not remove it and wait for 15 minutes (Intel recommends 30 minutes). Then reinsert the battery and try booting. The support page link below may offer some help.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln284433/what-is-bios-and-how-to-update-the-bios-on-your-dell-system?lang=en

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln151805/how-to-troubleshoot-a-no-post-issue-on-a-dell-notebook-pc?lang=en

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 1st, 2018 09:00

You can't get into the Bios by hitting F2?  When you say POST, are you referring to the spinning dots which happen after the Bios?  It may be a situation with a Video driver.

A Bios recovery can be done from a powered down state and you should have some instructions on how to do that on the downloads page.

Which version of Win 10 are you running?

December 4th, 2018 20:00

Hi Saltgrass,

I'm running on Windows 10.

Yes, with POST I refer to those spinning dots on the screen. The PC shuts down automatically even before reaching that stage, so it is impossible to press F2 in order to access the BIOS console.

I don't believe the problem is the video driver, i managed to turn on my screen one (just a miracle I suppose haha).

You mentioned there is a way to do a BIOS recovery from a powered down state. How do you do that? Can you send me a link to that please?

December 4th, 2018 20:00

Hi JOcean,

I tried removing the CMOS battery for an entire day and even that did not work. I tried following the links you forwarded to me, but they all depend on getting at least some kind of audio signal to determine the problem. I do not experience those sounds.

There was a subsection that talked about disconnecting some parts (which I did), but the result didn't change.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 5th, 2018 07:00

You mentioned there is a way to do a BIOS recovery from a powered down state. How do you do that?

:BigSmile:

Please try BIOS Recovery steps below to see if it will help get the computer up and running again. Before you begin the BIOS Recovery, ensure that the laptop's battery is charged up to at least 10%:

Verify that the laptop is powered OFF and disconnect the AC adapter.

Press and hold the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard.

Plug in the AC adapter to the laptop.

Release the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard once you see the BIOS recovery screen.

In the BIOS Recovery screen, select Reset NVRAM(if available) and press the Enter key. Select Disabled and press the Enter key if you wish to save the current BIOS settings.

Select Recover BIOS and press the Enter key to start the recovery process.

Note: Your Dell PC may restart a few times during the process of BIOS recovery

Please click on the link below for additional information that might be a help to you:

BIOS Recovery options on a Dell PC or Tablet | Dell US

December 5th, 2018 19:00

Thanks for the response LSUFAN51,

I tried following the steps you mentioned, but the BIOS recovery screen never appeared. My laptop shuts down in approximately 2 seconds. 

As I said before, my screen does not show anything at all, not even the circling dots. It also does not make any sounds or blinks the lights. It only turns on the keyboard backlight, the fans, and the power on led button.

I also tried resetting the RTC by pressing the power on button for 30s, but nothing happened. Is there any way to flush the BIOS without turning on the laptop?

My suspicion is that the BIOS update was either not compatible with my motherboard or with the video card.

1 Message

June 6th, 2019 19:00

Did you ever resolve the issue? It sounds very similar to what I’m experiencing - the only difference is that I can click F2 to get to the set-up but everything I’ve ready online still doesn’t fix the problem. I have a feeling since I have an Inspiron I’ll have to get dell support to download the bios recovery for me :(

1 Message

April 3rd, 2020 22:00

I am also facing the same issue...were you able to resolve???? Mine is 7470, and unplugged CMOS battery as well, which seems to have full power I am not able to extract bios from my other laptop. Can you please post if your is resolved and in case yes, how you did it. I tried using wine on dell ubuntu, to extract BIOS, but it is failing. Though it is able to do for older versions. Please help

August 16th, 2020 21:00

Did anyone ever get a fix for this? I have an inspiron 5575. It did a automatic update while I was doing a midterm. It rebooted once, I restarted my midterm. Then it restarted again, and now it won't go past the black dell screen. Sometimes I can see the F2 or F12 options, but they cannot be selected. I've tried almost everything I can find online and have had no results. Occasionally I will also get a blue bar loading at the bottom of the black dell logo screen. But it gets less than 25% done and freezes. I can hear the fan, the disk spin upon start and can toggle the caps lock light and change the brightness of the screen. So something is not connecting so it will boot. The semester is about to start again and I'm trying to get my year old laptop to work before it does. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

6 Posts

August 30th, 2020 06:00

Post if it work for you too

6 Posts

Change the amount of ram that work for me and update bios to the new one 

6 Posts

Try changing the amount of ram that work for me and update new firmware after

6 Posts

1 Message

September 2nd, 2020 05:00

Set uefi boot and disable legacy boot. It works for me.

1 Message

May 13th, 2021 22:00

Hi.

Last night I finally decide to do the BIOS (for a Dell Inspiron 7370) update after several notifications in the taskbar.

After the update, I got the message Upgrade successful message and the system will reboot. But unfortunately, after reboot, I get the recovery BIOS tool, I tried all the 3 options including using the USB drive.

The recovery goes thru with no issue but after reboot this is the only image I get. can't pass it.

How I can fix this?

inspiron 7370inspiron 7370

No Events found!