Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 6th, 2019 05:00

Battery Disabled - Inspiron 17R SE 7720 Windows 7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
BIOS: 01 Jun 2015 version (latest) 
Power adapter is a Dell OEM 240Watt FWCRC.   BIOS recognizes it as a 240W adapter.  The power port on the computer IS a bit loose and wiggly inside though. 

Upon startup, I get the dreaded messages about the battery not being recognized, or the battery being over temperature, depending on which battery I'm using

Approx 2 years ago, the weakening OEM battery was replaced with non-Dell replacement, which worked fine.  

I recently went to move the computer, so I unplugged it, and it died immediately.  After some investigation, I turned on the battery notification in the BIOS, and then started to receive this message with the non-Dell battery:

Your battery is temporarily disabled. Please turn off your computer and try again when the unit is back to the operational temperature.

This is with a room-temperature battery, so I know there's no real temperature issue.

So I grabbed the OEM-Dell battery that has been sitting on a shelf, and installed it.  With the Dell battery, I receive this battery warning:

WARNING:  The battery cannot be identified.  The system will be unable to charge this battery.
Warning: The battery is not the recommended battery.  The system will unable to charge this battery.

So it doesn’t even recognize the OEM battery as a “real” battery.

Digging through the forums, I tried the “reset” sequence (and several variants) with no luck:
Turn off – remove battery - press/hold power button - restart without battery – login – shutdown – disconnect power – press/hold power button – install battery – restart

Is there anything that can be done at this point, aside from leaving it plugged in all the time?  

~Dave

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 6th, 2019 06:00

That's a 7 yr old model that will need replacing soon. You should consider removing the battery and using the adapter alone. That will make the laptop a desktop replacement if you don't need the mobility of a laptop. That should do until you can buy a new computer. 

9 Posts

March 6th, 2019 08:00

Yes, it's a 7 year old model, but is far from being in need of replacement anytime soon.   With an i7 processor and an updated SSD for the OS, it's quite capable of doing everything it needs to do for the foreseeable future, with the exception of the newly-restricted portability.    

9 Posts

March 7th, 2019 08:00

I'm not sure how "your computer is old, live with the problem or buy a new one" can be considered a solution to the problem.

Clearly, something in the computer is faulty.   Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be faulty, and how to fix it?

2 Posts

October 2nd, 2019 16:00

Very True, How can you (Dell Support) even offer that solution. Its very demeaning and condescending. 

No Events found!