Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

9 Posts

March 15th, 2019 15:00

Battery Disabled - Inspiron 17R SE 7720 Windows 7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
BIOS: 01 Jun 2015 version (latest) 
Power adapter is a Dell OEM 240Watt FWCRC.   BIOS recognizes it as a 240W adapter.  The power port on the computer IS a bit loose and wiggly inside though. 

Upon startup, I get the dreaded messages about the battery not being recognized, or the battery being over temperature, depending on which battery I'm using

Approx 2 years ago, the weakening OEM battery was replaced with non-Dell replacement, which worked fine.  

I recently went to move the computer, so I unplugged it, and it died immediately.  After some investigation, I turned on the battery notification in the BIOS, and then started to receive this message with the non-Dellbattery:

Your battery is temporarily disabled. Please turn off your computer and try again when the unit is back to the operational temperature.

This is with a room-temperature battery, so I know there's no real temperature issue.

So I grabbed the OEM-Dell battery that has been sitting on a shelf, and installed it.  With the Dell battery, I receive this battery warning:

WARNING:  The battery cannot be identified.  The system will be unable to charge this battery.
Warning: The battery is not the recommended battery.  The system will unable to charge this battery.

So it doesn’t even recognize the OEM battery as a “real” battery.

Digging through the forums, I tried the “reset” sequence (and several variants) with no luck:
Turn off – remove battery - press/hold power button - restart without battery – login – shutdown – disconnect power – press/hold power button – install battery – restart

Is there anything that can be done at this point, aside from leaving it plugged in all the time?  

Yes, I'm aware that this is not a new computer, but is in perfect functional condition other than this issue.  Leaving it plugged in all the time is NOT a solution.

~Dave

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 16th, 2019 06:00

Because of the age of laptop it probably is not worth buying a new the battery--use it plugged in until you can buy a new computer. Batteries can wear out after 1-2 years. Your non dell battery is probably dying or dead now. Dells usually can't run on non dell batteries so consider yourself lucky it lasted this long.

BTW, don't leave old dead batteries in your house on a shelf and don't try to use it in the computer. It could be dangerous. Dispose of spent batteries safely. Here's some research about laptop lithium batteries- 

https://www.dell.com/support/search/us/en/19#q=laptop%20batteries&sort=relevancy&f:langFacet=[en]

No Events found!