Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

6 Posts

August 5th, 2020 16:00

Best practice regarding leaving laptop plugged in...

I have a new G5 5500 - bought it for faster image processing in Photoshop, not gaming, but am also using it for work during the day, which is mostly Internet based, but nothing to do with images.

My inclination is to leave the charger plugged in while I'm working all day, then unplug it when done with work in late afternoon. I use the laptop for zoom calls and other things unplugged, to 'exercise' the battery so it can drain down and charge back up - but that's occasional - several times/week, where the plugged in charger is daily practice. There's a lot of conflicting info on what's good to do in terms of battery use/life and if it's ok to leave charger plugged in while working as a daily practice when battery is 100% charged.

Is there any definitive answer now in August, 2020  regarding whether this will shorten battery life in the short or long run, harm battery in any way, or any other ramifications?

Thanks!

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

August 5th, 2020 18:00

I leave mine plugged in all the time. Like you, my Gaming notebook is not for games but for work. I seldom use it on battery only. My G752 is coming up on 5 years now and my battery still lasts about an hour or a little longer just about as long as it ever did. These batteries are not like batteries we've had in the past, they don't have memory and like staying charge mostly. I notice on both my notebooks that the battery will drop down to 95% or so and then charge back up this happens on both notebooks Asus and Dell.  To be clear though I don't use my 17" Gaming notebook on battery very often or for long periods of time. That's Why I got my Dell 13" lots less power but battery last and last and does all the things in need to do on battery.

6 Posts

August 6th, 2020 12:00

Thanks for weighing in! Anyone else?

1 Message

October 27th, 2020 10:00

Running a Vostro 7500 with all the bells and whistles. I leave mine plugged in all the time. Original reply is correct; the new systems are smart enough to not 'fully' charge the battery 90-95% and then do so when it actually needs to. I leave mine docked with an 'older' dell universal dock from my old latitude that uses the USB-C style adapter as well as the true full power 130W adapter to support the dedicated graphics card. A rule of thumb is if the unit is off, and you're at full charge if you feel it staying warm; check the battery and charger for improper spec/operation. If it's cool like everything else should be when completely off; you're pretty solid. No additional drop MTBF on this guy and it's been 90 days so far. If you're interested in learning more about modern batteries e.g. the type our modern laptops use; check out more on lithium ion: type batteries here: https://batteryguy.com/kb/knowledge-base/how-to-store-lithium-based-batteries/#:~:text=Lithium%20batteries%20should%20be%20kept,capacity%20is%20reduced%20over%20time.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 27th, 2020 11:00

@RubyBelle  There is indeed a lot of conflicting information, partly because there are and have been different battery chemistries over time, and what is beneficial to one may not always be helpful to another, and in fact may be detrimental to the other.  The idea that you should "exercise" a battery applies to NiMH (nickel metal hydride) batteries.  Today's rechargeable AA and AAA batteries still use that chemistry, but laptop batteries moved to lithium ion/polymer a long time ago.  Since this question of how to manage batteries come up a lot, I wrote up some posts in this short thread not too long ago.  The information is still current today for laptops.  The short version is that "exercising" your battery is wearing it out needlessly, so don't do that.  Keeping it topped up is better, although if you're willing to trade some everyday convenience for improved long-term usability, there's something additional you can do that's even better than keeping it topped up to 100% all the time.  If you're not willing to incur the daily inconvenience that can come with that, then keeping it topped up is still better than draining the battery when you can avoid doing so.

2 Intern

• 

410 Posts

October 27th, 2020 11:00

I leave my laptop plugged in 24/7 but have also chosen the bios option for battery management as "always plugged in to AC" or words to that effect.

April 26th, 2021 09:00

There is option For leaving you device plugged all the (Primary AC use) time without any issues .
Go to search> type dell power management > then go settings in battery information> select primary AC use , and you are all set.  (Dell G Models)

And Also Batteries In most of the dell won't overcharge there is no need to worry about it, but since there are some issues , I recommend Using this option. 

Dell g5 5500 , XPS , Inspiron , Vostro 
Regards Abie

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 5577.  I don't game but use it in my recording studio.  I leave charger connected during the day.  Its a 2018 model and so far no problems.

The gaming laptop was selected over a "regular" laptop as it has more cooling, a plus for a recording studio system that is on for hours.

6 Posts

Hi there Abie. I actually have the battery setting on "Adaptive" so the battery setting is adaptively optimized based on my typical use patterns. I work all day with the laptop plugged in, and then when I have zoom calls/meetings (average 2-3 times/week for 1-2 hours at a time) I operate from the battery. This seems to be working okay. Thanks for your input.

Ruby

January 9th, 2022 16:00

How do you access the bios options on Windows 10?

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

January 10th, 2022 10:00

BIOS/UEFI has nothing to do with windows. you press F2 at boot up to access the BIOS I think also F12 will give you an option to open your BIOS/UEFI. you have to be quick to catch it if you have an SSD booting.  Once you're in your BIOS/UEFI , there is a setting you can add a 5-second delay in boot up, for accessing the Quick boot menu F12 or  BIOS/UEFI F2

No Events found!