Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

7 Posts

July 6th, 2019 02:00

Boot issues with second drive installed

Hello, 

I do have an issue with my Inspiron 7566. Right after I bought it, I expanded the storage with another SATA SSD drive as data storage. In the last month or so boot issues started. If only M.2 with the system is connected - everything is fine. If the second SSD (SATA) is connected to the computer, it won't boot 90 % of the time. I get stuck on the DELL logo without being able to enter BIOS. I tried to switch for another drive but it would not help. 

My Dell extended warranty for the laptop has ended, but I have a few months of warranty in the shop left. Should I use it? Or is this issue solvable at home? 

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

July 6th, 2019 13:00

I would remove the SATA SSD and put it in an external case or USB to SATA adapter. Recover your data to a safe place.

I then would use something like Minitool partition manager to clean your SSD, you would do this by removing all partitions. This will leave your SSD in the same condition as it came from the factory RAW

Turn off Windows storage manager. This is just a flaky form or RAID 

Install your SSD and initialize as a logical drive and use it for storage.

If you need a larger OS drive, just upgrade that to a larger SSD I find 512 GB about the right size for all my computer except my Dell Inspiron 7386 with it only having 1 full M.2 slot I put a 1TB there and moved the 512gb SSD to the 2230 NVME slot I had that 1.5TB of onboard storage.

My Asus G752VY gaming notebook, I have a 512GB M.2 NVME 960 Pro for my OS and a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA SSD for onboard storage. I actually have a 2nd NVME 2280 slot that I'm not using. I use a lot of external drives for back up and long term storage stuff I only use once in a while.

7 Posts

August 13th, 2019 10:00

@Johny, As you have issues with BIOS, it may happen if it is upgraded or reset to defaults settings, as then RAID configuration also changes and leads to RAID failure. Moreover, removing the CMOS battery (Complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor, a small amount of computer memory on RAID controller or motherboard that stores BIOS settings) from the motherboard/RAID controller board resets the BIOS to defaults thus resulting in such error sometimes. The issue can be fixed by altering BIOS settings and recreating the RAID array. In case that doesn’t work, you can try alternative options to try reconstructing RAID array to get data back, and then recreate a new RAID array through BIOS utility. Check the post if it helps out: 

No Events found!