Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 23rd, 2018 08:00

Bootable Windows 7 USB

When I try to boot windows 7 from my USB it shows up to a page to install windows 7 then it says select the driver to be installed and nothing shows up so I’m not sure what to do at this point?
I don’t understand why it doesn’t regonize my usb when it has all the windows 7 stuff on it already.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

February 23rd, 2018 09:00

Sorry, forgot to include the link to the guide for updating your Win7 media.  It's below.  If you're NOT using an NVMe SSD, you can skip Steps 4 and 5 at the beginning and also any "DISM" commands that include the /Add-Package parameter: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/how11804/how-to-install-windows-7-on-systems-with-skylake-chipset?lang=en

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

February 23rd, 2018 09:00

You didn't specify what system you're trying to install Windows 7 on, but based on your description, I'm guessing it's a system that only has USB 3.0 ports.  Windows 7 has no native support for USB 3.0, so to install it on such systems, the Windows 7 install media has to be updated with the USB 3.0 drivers appropriate to that particular system.  The reason it can boot but not run is because when you boot from USB, the BIOS has control of the USB ports.  But once the OS loads (which in a Windows Setup environment is called Windows PE), the BIOS hands control of the USB ports over to the OS -- but if the OS doesn't support the USB standard that the system uses, then it can't see anything attached to the USB ports. The Windows Setup environment itself runs in RAM, which is why it's able to continue running rather than blue screening when this transition occurs.

March 12th, 2020 01:00

@sarpo95  @jphughan 

I can understand this problem of not locating the drivers properly. And I think can be easily by recreating the windows 7 bootable USB correctly. And the method which I personally used is mentioned below:-

1. Download and Install Windows USB/DVD Download Tool.
  2. Open it and Choose ISO File.
  3. Now Choose media type as USB.
  4. Insert your USB and select it.

And to read full tutorial visit the given links and also learn how to install windows 7 from USB properly.

No Events found!