Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 8th, 2022 07:00

Can I use my use my WD19s docking station with a Dell Inspiron G15 to run external screens

I am looking to buy a Dell Inspiron G15 laptop and would like to know if I can connect it to my WD19s docking station to run 2 external screens, but provide power to the laptop through its intended power supply?

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

July 8th, 2022 09:00

We will need more information: The exact model number. 

Most G15 released after 2020 have Display port over type C support, but again I will need your model number to give you exact info. You can also find user manual of your copmputer from support.dell.com (enter service tag) : Documentations > Setup and Specifications

You will land on a page like this and check yourself. 

Now if your model has a supported type C port. WD19S would be a perfect dock for you. 

Again I will need more info about the exact model and the resolutions of the monitor you are planning to connect 

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

July 8th, 2022 10:00

The capabilities of the USB ports are detailed below, but the answer to your other question is no, a dock will not power this system - you need the original power adapter connected directly to the system (depending on the configuration, it's either 240W or 180W).  The ports support power share (i.e., charging USB devices) but not power delivery (i.e., operating or charging the system).

On computers shipped with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 and RTX 3050 Ti
  • One USB 2.0 port
  • One USB 2.0 port with PowerShare
  • One USB 3.2 Gen 1 port
  • One USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C port with Display Port
On computers shipped with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
  • Two USB 3.2 Gen 1 port
  • One USB 3.2 Gen 1 port with Power Share
  • One USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C port with DisplayPort

July 8th, 2022 10:00

Dell Inspiron G15 15 5515-3502 AMD Ryzen 7 5800H, that is the model I'm looking to buy. Thank you for the feedback.

July 9th, 2022 01:00

Thank you for the response. So just to confirm if I understand your answer correctly if I power the laptop with its dedicated charger and connect it to the docking station that has its own power supply, I will be able to connect the screens to the docking station and use them? So the docking station is not providing the power, but rather the laptop's power supply.

No Events found!