Highlighted
CountryB
1 Copper

Can my Inspiron 15 3000 (3567) be upgraded? Extremely slow

I purchased the Inspiron 15 3000 series (3567) which has a i3-6606U processor with 4GB DDR4 ram.

This is the slowest computer I have ever used. When I (mouse) click on a icon (like to start Chrome, or open a program (Word, etc.)) it takes more than 5 seconds for anything to happen. Many times I think the "click" was not firm enough or didn't get recognized, so I click again. Then 5 or 6 seconds later two of the same programs open. Even doing Ctrl+Alt+Del is slow to open.

First I thought there might be some faulty/damaged software responsible, so I reformatted the hard drive and loaded Windows 10 fresh install. However the computer is still as slow. There is no way this is normal or acceptable. I should have returned it when I first bought it, but I don't use the laptop much (at first just for trips) so it was not something at the top of my to-do list. But I can't continue to use the laptop like this - 

• Is there a possibility of upgrading to a faster processor?
  • Is there possibly a Dell trade-in program where I could upgrade that way to a more usable computer?
Labels (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
nyc10036
4 Beryllium

Re: Can my Inspiron 15 3000 (3567) be upgraded? Extremely slow

Reinstalling Windows 10 means that you need to reinstall all the drivers starting with the chipset.

Then after that you need to go online and check for new Windows 10 updates.

You should have asked before doing something that probably wasn't necessary.

0 Kudos
Clintlgm
3 Cadmium

Yes well, an I3 with a spinner hard drive is slow, very slow compared to an I7 with SSD. So what are your comparisons? if you want faster speed upgrade from a hard drive to a 2.5 SATA SSD that will give you the most noticeable speed increase But it will still be slow as I3 are only Dual processors without hyperthreading Very few notebooks are CPU upgraded able So you get what you pay for. I5 and 17 are faster and more expensive. SSD's are pretty much the same price as Hard drives nowadays and much faster and much more reliable. 4 GB of RAM is more than enough for simple things line internet email looking at pictures etc. Not sure that increasing RAM would gain you any speed with an I3 CPU.

an earlier Reply instructed you on installing hardware drivers without the correct drivers your notebook will crawl along searching for drivers that it needs to perform. Installing Chipset drivers is very important since you didn't when you first installed Windows 10 you may have to use a special process to get them to install. You should start with the correct driver's supplies by Dell for your particular notebook. 

To get this information you need to log on to support, enter your model number and most importantly Enter your Service Tag Number. 

That will open all the hardware information on your Particular notebook, You should download and read your Service Manual there you will find out how to open your notebook and see how to upgrade your hard drive for a 
SSD the download section will have all your hardware drivers install them all. and your notebook should work lots better. But as I stated earlier an I3 CPU is never going to be fast.

As you stated if you weren't satisfied from the beginning you -probably had 30 days to return it for Replacement or refund depending on which retailer you purchased if from.

Inspiron 13 7000 Series 2-in-1 -7386
16GB RAM
Samxung 970 Evo 1TB SSD 2nd SSD 512 GB Hynix

0 Kudos
CountryB
1 Copper

I did all the Dell driver installations after installing Win10. I also ran the Dell troubleshooter - nothing found wrong.

There is no way this computer's slow response time can be considered normal, even for an i3.

Something is wrong. I'm just not sure if I should donate this laptop and move on to something else, or if it's worth the cost to take it to a repair facility.

I cant accept that the problem is a slow hard drive. But I have a spare 128GB SSD I could use. I looked a the service manual and it covers upgrading ram but nothing on replacing CPU. Is the CPU replaceable? If it is, will an i5 (or other) fit this MB?

0 Kudos
U2CAMEB4ME
4 Ruthenium

Welcome to the Dell Community @CountryB 

Sorry but the CPU is soldered to the system board and cannot be upgraded.

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=141&subid=996&refine=motherboard

For now try this???

Go to “Advanced System Settings”

Performance settings#3.PNG

In the “Performance” box click on “Settings”

Best Performance#4.PNG

Click on “Adjust for Best Performance”

Then click on “Apply”

Reboot and test.

Best regards,

U2

Microsoft Registered Refurbisher
Microsoft Registered Partner
HP EliteBook 8770w i7-3630QM 32GB
HP ZBook 17 G2 i5-4310M 16GB
If you like an answer please click on the thumbs up “Kudos”
If a reply is the solution to your problem please click on “Accept as Solution”
0 Kudos
Kflash08
1 Copper

Open task manager, click on the performance tab and monitor the graphs during slowdown events. If the memory graph is pegged or is closed to being pegged, you'll need to add more memory. If disk access is constantly high, click on the processes tab and find out which program is constantly accessing the disk. If nether applies, you can try upgrading the hard drive to an SSD and see if loading times improve. Perhaps it's the lackluster OEM hard drive that was installed from the factory.

I also want to mention that my neighbor did buy a new Inspiron 3567 several months ago, and she wanted me to help set it up and transfer her files over from her old computer. I can say that her computer did seem to be a bit slow at first, but after all the Windows, application & driver updates, the computer did pick up speed. Hers came with the 7th Generation Core i3 clocked at 2.7 GHz and 8 GB of RAM.

0 Kudos
U2CAMEB4ME
4 Ruthenium

@CountryB 

What model HDD do you have installed now???

Regards,

U2

Microsoft Registered Refurbisher
Microsoft Registered Partner
HP EliteBook 8770w i7-3630QM 32GB
HP ZBook 17 G2 i5-4310M 16GB
If you like an answer please click on the thumbs up “Kudos”
If a reply is the solution to your problem please click on “Accept as Solution”
0 Kudos