Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 1st, 2022 13:00

Can't Installing Windows 10 on Dell Inspiron 5502

I've been trying to install windows 10 to my Dell inspiron 5502 laptop but it never gets past the first install prompt saying:

"A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard disk driver. if you have a CD, DVD or USB flash drive with the drivers on it, please insert it now." 

I've read that I may need to install the Intel Rapid storage technology drivers but when I download it and put it on a second usb drive it was not detected; "No device drivers were found." 

I've disabled secure boot and RAID

windows iso is on a usb 2.0 16gb drive

Mostly been following advice from this thread

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/Windows-USB-Clean-Install-A-media-driver-your-computer-needs-is/td-p/7320485

But nothing has worked yet.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

August 2nd, 2022 05:00

Reset the system setup from RAID to AHCI -- or, make sure you're using the latest Windows 10 install media 

August 5th, 2022 12:00

So I figured out why it wasn't installing for anyone that was interested.

I used a Gnu/Linux machine to download and flash the .iso file to the usb stick. Never been a problem in the past but for whatever reason this laptop didn't like this method of installing.

I switched to another computer, installed windows 10 on it and then installed and ran the Microsoft Windows installation tool. This is what it needed to work. I had to install windows.. to be able to install windows.. I have no words.

I'm destroying all the technology I own and going to live in a log cabin

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

August 1st, 2022 14:00

Is this the latest distribution of Windows 10, or an older one?

August 2nd, 2022 00:00

Yes as far as I'm aware its the newest version. I downloaded it from the mircosoft website only a few days ago. Win10_21H2_EnglishInternational_x64.iso

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

August 2nd, 2022 05:00

By "disable RAID" -- did you set the drive to AHCI mode (where that driver is not needed)?

August 3rd, 2022 10:00

Yeah I've set it to AHCI mode but its still say that drivers are required.

I've even tried a windows 11 install usb and it still says that there are missing drivers.

For reference Linux Mint live usb works just fine

No Events found!