Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 21st, 2019 16:00

Common issue with Dell Laptops (Plugged in, not charging )

Hi,

I am very depressed of Dell laptops!

I have Dell Laptop Inspiron 15 5567 , today I got this issue "Plugged in, not charging ".

I checked the battery and the power adapter they are Ok , after searching to solve this issue I found that this issue is common with Dell laptops, I have got Dell laptops twice my experience with them is bad despite that they are expensive, the first one broke before years, so I bought laptop from another brand then after few years before two years I bought this Dell laptop Inspiron 15 5567 unfortunately I got this issue which is common.  

My other Laptop from another brand is working for years without issues until now.

I do not know if this common issue is because Dell laptop's quality is low or the BIOS was programmed to do that just to sell more new laptops!!

Does anyone know how to solve this issue by different ways than buying new battery or power adapter because I tried many inspection ways without success?

Thanks in advance.

May 22nd, 2019 18:00

20190523_040834.jpg

@DELL-Cares 

Excuse me for what I said before, I am very sorry, I was depressed!

I would like to share with you how I solved this problem.

I checked the electronic components on the motherboard and found in the power circuit that the smd transistor PQ6 is broken (its part number is 702) so I replaced it with the available compatible smd transistor (S72), that solved the problem, please see the attached picture.

Now my laptop is charging :)

I hope that everyone solve their issues.

Thank you so much! <3

May 21st, 2019 16:00

I can't update the BIOS firmware cause the charging percentage is 9% less 1% of the value that allows me to update it  :(

Bad luck!!

• 

16.7K Posts

May 23rd, 2019 04:00

Thank you for posting to the forum.

May 23rd, 2019 04:00

My pleasure, don't mention it!

I like to help other people as they help me when I need help.

Also I found the laptop power input socket is broken so I replaced it , I think that did short circuit that cause that transistor to be broken.

1 Message

August 26th, 2020 15:00

Hello there

I have a dell latitude 5480 laptop that is not charging possibly due to a broken power plug port short. I have replaced the power plug and still not charging. It shows plugged in but not charging the battery. I've noticed on the motherboard a burnt chip/diode/ transistor (PD4) I believe this is the issue. does anyone know the Part number and where to get this item?

Thanks for your time 

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

August 26th, 2020 16:00

Those parts are generally unavailable in single units -- unless you're looking to buy thousands of them and are located in Southeast China.  If you're sure that part is faulty, your best bet is to find someone selling a board that failed for some other reason and salvage the part from the  dead board.

August 27th, 2020 10:00

Try to read the part number of the burnt component then replace it with the same new component or equivalent compatible one. 

If you could not read the part number try to take a picture of it then magnify the picture. 

or post a picture of the component here we will see if we can help you. 

1 Message

September 8th, 2020 03:00

My dell latitude 5480 do not charging with original charger. I think problem is in PD4 component, but i am cannot identity this element. Can you ask what element can replase this element.(on photo two dell latitude 5480 laptops first normal, second do not charging)

normal laptopnormal laptopbroken pd4broken pd4

1 Message

November 18th, 2020 21:00

Hello friend, excuse me, where do I buy the replacement transistor, I have looked everywhere and I can not find it.

November 20th, 2020 05:00

If you have electronic background you can find a replacement, the replacement is another transistor has different number but has the same specifications or better.

If you have old broken laptop, most probably you can find the same transistor or a replacement inside it, specify the similar transistor like the broken one, then search for a data sheet based on the number written on it, compare the specifications in the data sheet with the specifications of the original component.

The suitable replacement must has the same specifications or better.

If you don't have electronic background the important specifications are the transistor type should be the same, the voltage and current rating should be the same like the original or more than them.

Good luck!

November 20th, 2020 05:00

Excuse me for my late answer, I didn't usually check Dell website.

I hope you solved your issue during last two months.

if not search for a data sheet of this burnt transistor, if you have old broken laptop find a similar transistor search for a data sheet, compare them.

I have just written a detailed procedure for choosing suitable component for another person in this post.

Good luck!

1 Message

December 3rd, 2020 14:00

Hi Sanchotuit, I have the same problem but I dont have an other laptop to compare. Did you manage to measure electrically PD4 to know the internal diode configuration? in that way, I can easily find something equivalent. I didn't find anything using the serial number on the good one of your picture. 

December 6th, 2020 17:00

I think probably this part is different depending on the laptop model, I wish I could have a schematic diagram from Dell, I would help you, but unfortunately I don't have.

Anyway, this component is not a diode, measuring it will not help.

I recommend you, if your same component is burnt, to search about the specs of it, this component most probably is a transistor or a power regulator, then you can judge which component is suitable.

Good luck

Ismail

1 Message

May 29th, 2021 08:00

I have read almost all of above questions and suggestions.

I have a burnt transistor JB k/3 is written on it and some PD4303 is labelled along it on the motherboard. Issue: same plugged in but not charging.

I have searched that transistor but couldn't find a thing, please help me to find its compatible transistor so that i can replace. As, its kinda new and im afraid its another faulty motherboard is hard to find in the market.

1 Message

July 2nd, 2021 02:00

Jumper solutions is the easiest way I was facing the same problem but I did it myself 

No Events found!