Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

T

3 Posts

February 24th, 2020 02:00

D3100 compatibility

Hi everyone,

I have only one  question.. is the D3100 USB 3.0 compatible with the laptop Inspiron 5567? Thx.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 24th, 2020 03:00

I assume you are referring to a Nikon D3100?  You should make it clear what you are asking, not make someone research what a "D3100" might be.

However, the USB 3.0 ports are backward compatible with USB 2.0 devices if that is what the issue is.??

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

February 24th, 2020 07:00

@fireberd  I think it's more likely that @teddyedo  was asking about the Dell D3100 docking station.  If so, then yes the dock will work, although be aware that a dock that connects over regular USB like that will not charge the attached system, although based on the Inspiron 5567's available connectors, there isn't a docking system you could use with that system that would charge it.  Also be aware that the D3100's use of DisplayLink technology to handle video rather than using native GPU outputs introduces some potentially significant drawbacks depending on your use case.  I wrote those up in a detailed post in this thread, specifically the post marked as the answer.

If you decide to get the D3100, I'd also recommend getting the latest DisplayLink drivers directly from DisplayLink.com.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

February 26th, 2020 13:00

@teddyedohappy to help.  For your use case I think the D3100 and your Inspiron 5567 will work just fine, since what you describe is pretty typical for a business-type use case.  My work has a bunch of DislpayLink-based docks and I've used them just fine for that type of workload.  Just make sure to get the latest DisplayLink drivers directly from DisplayLink.com.  Good luck!

3 Posts

@jphughan thank you very much! So I will buy the D3100 and I will let you know how it works! 

3 Posts

@jphughan first of all, thanks for the reply. From what I understand, the video performance with the D3100 is not the best ... my goal would be to connect my Dell Inspiron 5567 to 2 external 1080p monitors, deactivating the laptop display. I don't use the laptop to play, but only to program, surf the web and watch videos on youtube ... so I ask you if in your opinion the D3100 usb 3.0 can guarantee me the possibility to do what I just described without lag or slowdowns or if perhaps, you knew some alternatives to this product that you consider more efficient. I remember that my laptop only has USB 3.0 and not usb c or thunderbolt. Thanks in advance.

1 Message

August 4th, 2021 02:00

Hello - i am looking at the D3100 - is it compatible with a Lenovo Yoga laptop?

No Events found!