Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

1 Message

December 24th, 2019 08:00

DELL G5 UNUSABLE ON BATTERY

Dell G5 purchased in October 2019 is basically useless when running off of battery power. When plugged in, the machine works wonderfully. When running on battery power, anything more than a few browser tabs is resulting in serious performance issues (clicking lag, video stutter, games unable to get past the initial screen, etc).

I understand that the machine will throttle considerably when running off of battery, but I'm blown away that the machine is essentially useless. I want to be able to run newer games at low-spec settings on battery (games the machine is able to easily run at ultra-specs when plugged in). Any suggestions on how to improve my performance?

Things I've tried:

-Optimizing game settings using Nvidia Experience

-Disabling integrated graphics

-Turned off intel speed shift and intel speed step in BIOS

-Adjusting "power mode" performance scaling slide bar

-Changing power plans (no performance option is given, just 'Balanced' and 'Dell recommended')

Nothing has changed the computers horrible battery performance. Any suggestions??!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 24th, 2019 11:00

Just a comment and not a fix to offer.

I have an Inspiron 15, 5577 which Dell sold as a gaming laptop.  Also, December 2018/Jan 2019 I did field testing for Dell of a new (not for sale) G7 gaming laptop.  Both work great with AC power and the FPS are also very good.  But on battery the FPS drops to half of the AC power FPS.   I see this on other general PC forums with other PC brands too.

No Events found!