Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 12th, 2019 18:00

DELL G7 7790 space bar issues.

Hi fellas, 

The space bar on the keyboard is very intermittent, you consciously have to press the exact middle of the space bar or yoursentences start lookinglike this.

My battery question has been resolved in the FAQ's re draining while plugged in.

Any help with the keyboard matter would be great,

Regards

December 9th, 2019 15:00

Dell sent the tech around to replace the keyboard. 

They actually replaced the whole chassis with the keyboard installed already.

Took them about 2 hours to move the motherboard, HDD, RAM etc across.

It is a lot better than before, i think the way i type my right thumb is right on the edge of the space bar.

I guess i am used to typing on mechanical keyboards on desktops so it might be a bad habit.

I typed this paragraph without having any issues.

If your machine is out of warranty, then i would suggest looking at an alternative solution as a whole chassis replacement id imagine would be costly.

Regards

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

November 12th, 2019 21:00

That sounds like hardware, maybe something stuck under that space bar cap Is the key moving up and down normally? is so then you may be needing Repair or replacing the keyboard. It may be possible to repair your key if the problem is mechanical they sell replacement keys this replaces the Keycap, Silicon ball, and Hinge.https://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/dell/

They have a video that shows you how to change out the keys, this might help you see how to remove that space bar cap and check for debris or see exactly what the issue is. As I said before if not then replacing the entire keyboard will be the answer

November 12th, 2019 22:00

Reposting message

November 12th, 2019 22:00

Reposting message

November 13th, 2019 04:00

Seniorsalami, 

Thanks for sharing the information requested over private message. I'll continue to work with you over private messages to safeguard your privacy. 

Dell-RonnieR

November 13th, 2019 14:00

Thanks for the reply, the space bar had issues the day i bought it and pulled it out of the box.

November 19th, 2019 04:00

Yes, mine suffers the same issue since unboxing. The right side of the space bar just doesn't work. Did you get the issue resolved? Dell G7 17 7790

November 19th, 2019 16:00

I get the keyboard replaced tomorrow by DELL. I'll post back here once done.

1 Message

December 5th, 2019 20:00

Any success?  I just bought one and I have the same issue.  The center works fine but both ends don't work at all.

2 Posts

December 9th, 2019 00:00

Hey there, I have the same model of computer, just got it brand new and have had the same exact issue with the space bar right out of the box.  It's driving me insane.  How'd the keyboard replacement go?  Wondering how to go about fixing it myself...or if it'd just be easier to return/exchange instead... 

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

December 9th, 2019 07:00

To get this information you need to log on to support, enter your model number and most importantly Enter your Service Tag Number. 

That will open all the hardware information on your Particular notebook, You should download and read your Service Manual there you will find out how to open your notebook and show you how to change out the keyboard. https://www.parts-people.com/shop/dell-parts/category_laptop-keyboard/ if you can't get the keyboard from Dell. Also you might want to try just fixing the space bar with a replacement kit. It well could be just not installed correctly or have become loose in shipment. https://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/dell/ these people have video's on how to replace the different keys individually You may only need to fix what you have if they have a video for your keyboard. Not taking away from Dell's responsibility,  not stepping up with multiple units with this same issue. However, if you can fix it yourself you won't have to send it off and take your chances in the repair centers. and just be without your new notebook.

No Events found!