Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

May 11th, 2018 00:00

DELL Inspiron 15 5000 series, two extended monitors in one HDMI slot

Hey, can I plug two external monitors into HDMI slot of the Notebook and use 3 screens in Windows 10, one main at laptop, and two extended monitors, using something like this:
https://cdn.alza.cz/ImgW.ashx?fd=f3&cd=WD967

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 11th, 2018 07:00

That adapter is a replicator.  You can't use extend mode because HDMI does not support running multiple independent displays out of a single output.  Only DisplayPort does, and also USB-C and Thunderbolt since they use DisplayPort for video data.  If you don't have a DisplayPort output, you'd have to use something like an HDMI to USB adapter, which uses a DisplayLink chip or a similar technology.  Those definitely have drawbacks compared to displays that are being driven directly by a GPU (don't plan to use a display connected that way for gaming or even full screen video, for example), but if you don't have any other display outputs you can use, then that's your only option.

2 Posts

November 2nd, 2020 18:00

Does the HDMI connect to the monitor and then the USB to the laptop? Or vice versa....

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 2nd, 2020 19:00

@evilant  You plug the USB side into the laptop, and then the adapter has an HDMI output.  You use an HDMI cable to connect that to your display.  Here is an example.  But check the post marked as the answer in this thread, which is where I explained some of the drawbacks of DisplayLink technology.

2 Posts

November 4th, 2020 23:00

Thank-you for your response.

Actually this is just a work laptop where I need a second monitor - and the answer to that is in the display settings, where you can choose multiple monitors, etc

take care!

November 14th, 2020 06:00

basically this laptop has been connected to my lg TV via HDMI direct for 5 years for the sole purpose of display. i wanted a jacked up tv with all the functions of a laptop controlled via wireless mouse.    LTop been constantly or primary on 'Project to second screen' , limited occasional duel display for desk work. Working flawless until recent choppy video across Ytube, Netfx when widening to full screen and Margins misaligned with slow responses. Is it possible my  'AMD A4-6210 APU with AMD Radeon R3 Graphics' is no longer capable of my demand or wore out? 

add: Actual use is very high, an average of 18 hrs per day. 

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron 3541
BIOS: A07 (type: UEFI)
Processor: AMD A4-6210 APU with AMD Radeon R3 Graphics (4 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3512MB RAM
Page File: 3689MB used, 1358MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.17134.0001 64bit

December 1st, 2021 15:00

What's good bro,

I have the same issue but I am using a USB-C converter to feed both monitors (extended). The USB-C has a female USB adaptor in order to plug into my Dell. It doesn't seem to recognize this setup. It looks like my system manager recognizes the device as a displayport but it doesn't respond. 

Below is the exact device I am using with a USB female to connect into my Dell laptop Inspirion 5575

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JY33Q37?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I would appreciate any help or guidance. Thanks

Steve @ Gozy Mobile Solutions

No Events found!