Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 28th, 2018 16:00

Dedicated Video Memory from System Memory on Motherboard

I just bought a kingston 260 pin DDR4 sodimm laptop memory for my Dell Inspiron 15 5576.

I need to find out why it still is saying 512MB still?

Both are made by Kingston

1xR 8GB PC4-19200-2400T SA1-11 2400MHz RAM both are the same type.

My system is Dual Channel support for gaming

Two 8Gb sticks are 512MB of dedicated video memory on the motherboard system memory.

This is separate than the RX560 4GB GDDR5 memory VRAM...

Now,What do I need to do to make it work or register it?

It is the correct RAM and yes I checked to make sure it was installed right...and it was new never used...

It should increase the system memory size known on the motherboard dedicated video memory for the motherboard to 1GB.

1 8Gb stick is 512MB now installing the other should equal it to 1GB..

get it?

I did this with the memory upgrade in my old laptop and the system memory dedicated video memory for the motherboard increased from 384MB to 512MB then I had a 4GB stick and a 2GB stick that was 384MB...

installing the exact same 4Gb then increase it to 512MB....

applying the same upgrade logic here..should see a change in the memory system to 512MB to 1GB....

Link to Old post to show what I am talking about:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/dedicated-ram-and-total-available-memory-and/3e807c6d-ef89-4a63-85e4-ce5f2c1df32a

Example from my old post about my old laptop

Good news

same type

SAMSUNG 4GB RAM DDR4 PC4-2133P (PC4 17000) Laptop Notebook memory M471A5143DB0-CPB

here is the Display Adapter update...I never thought it would automatically update...holy cow it did...

Now, that you made it to the bottom of the page,How do I get my system to update the motherboard system memory size from 512MB to 1GB and don't tell it can't be done....

please reply with instructions on where in Regedit or BIOS to make this change to happen...or do I need to take the bottom stick out and put in in the top slot and put my new stick in the bottom>?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

June 30th, 2018 18:00

The last PC I saw that allowed configuring the amount of system RAM dedicated to the GPU was probably at least 8 years old. It’s not that Dell is behind on functionality; it’s simply that it’s not a feature that’s found on systems anymore, so I wouldn’t wait around for an update to make that option available. As for error sounds and crashes, this is the first time in this entire thread you’ve said anything about that. I don’t understand why you expect that being able to dedicate more RAM to the GPU will solve anything, and it sounds like you don’t really have a good reason to believe that either, but that’s neither here nor there. The bottom line is that the option you want isn’t available and there’s no reason to expect that it will become available.

I’m not in a position to confirm anything about anybody’s specific testing procedures, but as for Dell being behind on drivers, part of the reason for that is that after the actual component vendor releases drivers (AMD in this case), Dell does perform some amount of testing to make sure that those drivers work properly on their systems, and might occasionally tweak them. However, you can always try just downloading the GPU drivers directly from AMD. I’ve done that for my Dell systems with NVIDIA GPUs for years and never had a problem.

And on a side note, if you’ve been having issues, it might have been better to actually mention that in the first place rather than just asking about how to change memory allocations.

July 1st, 2018 09:00

one more question about this model system 5576?

why did Dell take away the option to use the 2 extra GPU SP Cores?

I heard they either cut it out (I don't know how they do this)

or they lock it down in BIOS with software.

one oft hose two...but Why can't the extra two cores be used if it is locked down by BIOS?

How do I know if it is there laying disabled to use or simply cut out?

I have read that  for system s with the desktop and some mobile units you can unlock the 2 cores if they did not cut it out....But,I am not sure whether to give up or look for a way to enhance it further...

something like allowing all users to unlock in BIOS and have a menu in radeon to adjust the core clock speed and memory speed and fan speed?

I have found no where online that my system is the permanently cut out one....

isn't it kind of killing the model by taking away the extra boost you can get from the 560?I think that was a dumb move?

July 1st, 2018 09:00

Well,I did mention them before in other threads it is just that no need to open more threads on what I already mentioned beforehand.

I am surprised that today when anyone wants to add more ram into their mobo that the system cannot allocate that extra ram to the system memory dedication on the mobo as before on that HP laptop...

I thought that was how RAM worked whenever  you add more to a Dual slot for Dual-channel.

So,If I wanted to buy two 16GB stick of RAM in my laptop oneday,it won't update the system memory from 512MB?

if that is the case than that would kind of ....I thought that the extra 2 8Gb sticks would be 512MB per stick equaling 1024Mb in the system dedicated memory for mobo...and that the two 16GB sticks would increase it to 2048MB in that order....

Thus making 2048MB on the board dedicated for the CPU+the GPU to use 2GB from the board + 4GB GDDR5 from the GPU VRAM would be 6GB all together...

if that isn't possible than I guess two 16GB sticks won't improve performance and graphics rendering as well a increasing fps on games like say,Friday the 13th and Doom and any other game using the Unreal Engine....

When did they remove the Regedit option from modifying the system memory use on the mobo?

I thought that just about all system's could have that option available to modify and change based on the amount of RAM you had in the system....for 2 8GB sticks and 2 16GB sticks....????

I have seen lot's of thread's where people can still do this to change the dedicated video memory for system memory use on the board...it has been discussed and explored alot over the years...

I was under the impression that doing this change would help the CPU use the mobo dedicated video memory alongside the GPU VRAM...together....

Disapointing.

At this point I don't even know what the benefit of having to buy 2 16GB sticks would do if I could not see and increase to AAA titles....I might as well buy the ROG

http://laptopmedia.com/review/asus-rog-strix-gl702zc-amd-ryzen-7-1700-radeon-rx-580-review-a-really-good-workstation-with-rogs-branding-on-top/

July 3rd, 2018 08:00

0703181107.jpg0703181110.jpg

July 3rd, 2018 08:00

I do not like buying RAM and not seeing the allocation not work...the 512MB not going up to 1024MB dedicated video memory on the board only means...that buying two 16GB sticks is not worth it...

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

July 3rd, 2018 09:00

That 512 M is not the video memory  -- it is a fixed frame buffer (Intel GPUs have these as well).  No matter how much RAM you install, that value will not change.

1 Message

August 7th, 2019 06:00

Hah! You said you won't wast more time but you did lol. Anyways, thanks for that I actually learnt a lot from your explanation to this guy. I'm not only disapointed but fed up and will try to modify it or even make a new chipset myself! (It is just solding amirite!?).

No Events found!