Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

February 19th, 2018 18:00

Dell 7373 powershare not working

My inspiron 13 7373, the Powershare USB works only when the laptop is connected to the power supply via AC adapter. On battery mode, it does not charge any device when the laptop is shut down. I don't know if this is a standard feature ?

I already install latest Bios , Chipset and also enable powershare in BIOS.

and what is the different between the lightening icon and battery icon on the usb port?

Thank you

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

February 19th, 2018 18:00

Different Dell models have implemented PowerShare differently.  On my older XPS 15 9530 for example, PowerShare works even when the system is fully shut down and disconnected from AC.  On my newer Latitude E7440, PowerShare only works while on battery if the system is asleep, not shut down.  When the system is on AC power, it works while asleep or fully shut down.

Typically the lightning icon is a standard indicator for a USB port that provides more than the minimum 500 mA of current, and perhaps supports the Battery Charging 1.2 spec  The battery icon typically signifies PowerShare or the equivalent functionality with other vendors.  It can get confusing though because the battery icon for PowerShare actually predates the Battery Charging 1.2 spec, otherwise you'd think the battery icon would've been used to signify Battery Charging 1.2 support -- and some devices actually DO use a battery icon to indicate BC 1.2 support rather than the "official" lightning icon, including some Dell displays.  And then the Thunderbolt icon looks a lot like the USB lightning icon....

2 Posts

June 21st, 2018 05:00

Has anyone tested the USB Powershare function of the Dell XPS? Is it fully functional regardless of the battery level or is it somehow limited under a certain battery threshold?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

June 21st, 2018 07:00

@Hayssam wrote:

Has anyone tested the USB Powershare function of the Dell XPS? Is it fully functional regardless of the battery level or is it somehow limited under a certain battery threshold?

What do you mean "the Dell XPS"?  There have been many XPS models over the years.  On my XPS 15 9530, PowerShare works even while the system is shut down and disconnected from the battery, and there is a BIOS setting where you can configure how low the battery is allowed to drop before PowerShare disables itself.  I think the lowest setting is 10%, but it might be 0%.

1 Message

March 28th, 2021 03:00

It does not work for mine either. Only when laptop is powered on

No Events found!