Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

6 Posts

December 29th, 2019 13:00

Dell 7567 - CPU Throttling?

I genuinely feel like Ive tried everything under the sun at this point so hopefully someone can help. Here's the details:

I have a Dell 7567 Gaming computer. i7-7700HQ. 1050ti GPU. 
For the past week or so, I've been having issues with what appeared to be CPU throttling. Nothing shows abnormal in Task Manager, but it's been so bad I can barely play games. That said, it isn't all the time. Sometimes it's okay and others I can't even use discord (without playing a game) because it lags so bad. 

As mentioned, I don't see anything in task manager, but both intel XTU and Power Gadget show the package frequency sitting at 0.90GHz with a base frq of 2.80. This happens regardless of what they show as the CPU utilization, though that frequently jumps to 100% or close to it with little to no obvious reason. System isn't too hot, usually sitting around 65 degrees. If it has any influence, the gpu runs mostly low but for some reason seems to jump on occasion to like 25000%? only for like a second though and not often. Package power on power gadget sems to sit below 8W, usually closer to  6W, out of the limit of 45W. 

I never used these tools before this issue occurred, so I don't know what is/isn't normal. 

Here is what I've tried (though likely not an exhaustive list bc i've been trying for over a week):

• underclocking both cpu and gpu in case it was power throttling
  • checking power settings for windows and nvidia control panel
  • using task manger and system tools to disable background processes
  • checked for viruses/malware via windows defender, avast, malwarebytes and windows defender offline
  • run hardware scans to make sure it isn't a CPU hardware issue
  • update bios and all drivers
  • restart windows management instrumentation

If anyone has ANY advice or questions, please let me know!! I can't afford to replace my $1500 computer i am just a broke university student lol

2 Posts

May 1st, 2020 20:00

This is quite late, but I have the i5 version of the 1050ti 7567.

Below is my XTU graph without any undervolting or overclocking. The G indicates when a GPU stress test started running, which caused the clock (orange line) to drop near 0.4-0.8 GHz. The C shows when a CPU stress test started running alongside the GPU test to put both under high usage simultaneously. The clock remained the same and the temperature didn't go past 75-80C. The core wattage was 3W during the stress test, and the GPU wattage was 1W. Even though the wattage seems really low, XTU didn't indicate power throttling, neither did it indicate thermal throttling. I've tried almost everything other than formatting and reverting to a different windows version.

Have you had any luck with your issue? I'm starting to think it's a power issue perhaps, but I'm somewhat clueless.

XTU graph.PNG

No Events found!