Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

35 Posts

April 28th, 2019 06:00

Dell DataSafe Local Backup download - Is this a legitimate site?

I've got an old N7110 laptop I am getting ready to replace the drive on, and the original restore disks I made are approaching 8 years old. Originally ran Windows 7, upgraded to Win 10 and thought I'd create factory restore media on a USB drive instead of relying on 8 year old DVD media. But the DataSafe Local Backup is having problems detecting any form of media, so I thought I'd uninstall and reinstall just to get another set of factory restore media created beforehand. I've already got several Windows system images saved, but want the factory restore media as well.

That being said, I found this download site for the DataSafe Local Backup software, but I don't know if it is legitimate or not. Can anyone tell me if it is legitimate? I've seen this link referenced several times on the Dell Community forums, but thought I'd ask anyway.

http://dslbdownload.datasafelocalbackup.com/dsldownload-en.html

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

There is no need to use Dell DataSafe anything!!!

On another PC, create a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool.

Boot to the USB flash drive on your N7110. Install Windows 10.

During the installation when it asks for your Windows 10 key, skip it.

After Windows 10 installs, connect to your router using an Ethernet cable.

Then activate Windows 10. Your laptop is already registered with Microsoft's servers as having a Windows 10 digital license.

35 Posts

I get that, but I wanted to install from the factory restore media for the MS Office 2010 Starter pack that installs with the factory media. I already use LibreOffice, but someone in the family likes Word better.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

April 28th, 2019 07:00

@rreddon wrote:

I get that, but I wanted to install from the factory restore media for the MS Office 2010 Starter pack that installs with the factory media. I already use LibreOffice, but someone in the family likes Word better.

Are you sure that the Office 2010 Starter pack is there?

As far as I know the restore media only has Windows.

35 Posts

April 28th, 2019 07:00

@nyc10036 wrote:

As far as I know the restore media only has Windows..

Positive it is in the factory restore media.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

April 28th, 2019 09:00

@rreddon wrote:

@nyc10036 wrote:

As far as I know the restore media only has Windows..

Positive it is in the factory restore media.

If it was me, I would use something like Macrium Reflect Free or EaseUS Todo Backup or Acronis TrueImage and create an image of your hard drive as it is now.

But since you insist on using Dell DataSafe Local Backup, you take the risk.

35 Posts

April 28th, 2019 15:00

Never mind...I'll just do a quick factory restore on the current drive, using the ePSA Pre-boot environment, then create a new factory media backup as a fail-safe, before installing the new drive.

I just thought someone might able to provide me with an answer to my simple question.

No Events found!