Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 17th, 2021 09:00

Dell G15 5510 2nd M.2

Hello,

Unfortunately I didn't find a Dell Gaming Laptop category Therefore I created the article here.

I ordered a Dell G15 5510 with i7-10870H and RTX 3060. Now I saw in a teardown video that there is no bracket and heat sink for the 2nd M.2 SSD. Are there already the right part numbers for it?

I have already been able to locate the PXNWV for the bracket. However, for the heatsink, I haven't found anything suitable for the G15 5510.

Best regards!

EDIT: 

IronMaaasel_0-1621270725216.png

Teardown Video G15 2021 

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

May 17th, 2021 10:00

Have a look at this forum post, and this web site and also this one.

June 25th, 2021 06:00

Looking for information on what parts are needed to install a M2 2280 format SSD in the 2nd slot of your Dell G15 5510?

I had the same issue and after looking through the post linked before and several different other ones involving Alienware models, I thought I had the solution. However, (some of) the parts for the laptops mentioned are different for the G15 5510, so I'll share what I ended up ordering via the customer support line.

IMG_1902.JPG

The heatshield for a M2 2280 format SSD is part# 26X1Y. (for a 2230 format SSD you need part# FJ75H) 

The bracket to hold the SSD and shield in place is part# X8MY9.

The two M2x4 screws are part# X197K each.

If instead of adding you want to replace the current M2 2230 format SSD with a 22880 format one, then all you need is the heatshield for the 2280 part# 26X1Y

The instructions on how to do this can be found on pages 21-23 of the G15 5510 Service Manual .

This was the laptop before installing the SSD:

The blank space for slot 2The blank space for slot 2

The screw mount not fully inserted yet:

The screw mount not fully inserted yetThe screw mount not fully inserted yet

The screw mount fully inserted:

The screw mount fully insertedThe screw mount fully inserted

The thermal heatshield on top of the SSD:

The SSD underneath the thermal shieldThe SSD underneath the thermal shield

Everything bolted down:

IMG_1914.jpg

Hope this helps you out.

May 17th, 2021 10:00

Thanks, this should work! 

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

May 17th, 2021 12:00

Happy to help out!

1 Message

July 1st, 2021 14:00

Thanks for posting this... very helpful.

I just purchased a G15 5510 recently and need to add a second NVME 1TB drive for all my stuff, so I can migrate off my old ASUS. Started with a Chat Session with Dell Support, very helpful. Confirmed all parts, then was called by Dell fulfillment the next day. Confirmed all delivery and order details, and then was hit with the price for these 4 small items (2 of which are screws).

$99.00 plush shipping? Wow... I said thanks, but lets close that case now please.

*heads to Amazon again*

Great service from Dell support, but for that price I will go elsewhere. Great write up and pics, wanted to stop in and say that.

2 Posts

July 2nd, 2021 13:00

I ordered mine from deal4go.  I tried to post earlier with the links but the message disappeared so I do it without the direct links.  Just use their name with the www. and .com at the end.

They have a presence on Amazon but they didn't offer the heatshield there. I had to go directly to their own store website and look for it.

Then you can just do a search for the descriptions below on their website.

M.2 SSD Support Bracket Mounting Metal X8MY9 0X8MY9 for Dell G15 5510 5511 5515 2021

and the

Slot 2/Slot 1 M.2 2280 SSD Heatsink Cover Thermal Bracket 026X1Y 26X1Y for Dell G15 5510 5511 5515 Alienware M15 R5 Gaming Laptop

Hope that helps. Took about 2 weeks for it to show up.

2 Posts

July 16th, 2021 03:00

I don't understand why Dell does NOT include the mounting bracket and cooling plate in the first place. Saving £20 but keeping Customer Service busy with complaints. Also, there are no such products on the Dell website.

It is like buying a car and when you receive it to realize that you have to purchase tires or passenger seats additionally. Then go to the manufacture's website and find out that they even don't have them listed there!  

Waiting to speak with Customer Service today, let's see what would be their solution... 

July 16th, 2021 04:00

I paid €130 for two sets of these, for two laptops I wanted to upgrade. This should’ve been part of the system indeed, not aftermarket. 

62 Posts

July 16th, 2021 23:00

Even though you may have to wait a bit due to shipping. But these are easily available on AliExpress, bracket + copper heatsink as a bundle.

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

July 24th, 2021 15:00

Where did you buy these parts? I went to Ifixit and i couldn't find them.

July 25th, 2021 06:00

Oh, I just happened to lay out all the parts on my iFixit Magnetic Project Mat, but the parts themselves were purchased through Dell Support as I wasn’t exactly sure which part numbers I needed or where else to get them. Others have since posted links to other online suppliers, check the rest of the thread for those posts, and just use the part numbers in my post to guide you. 

3 Posts

July 28th, 2021 12:00

How essential is the heat sink?  I fashioned something out of a cut up beer can and a couple of screws?

Is this going to cause a problem down the line?

This is exactly the sort of cheapskate thinking that will put be off Dell for the next laptop.  It is unbelievable they would save the few cents required, considering the amount of inconvenience it puts the end user to.

Was also very unimpressed with the amount of effort it took to get the case open - impossible on mine without breaking a couple of clips.  Shoddy.

1 Message

August 1st, 2021 01:00

So I ordered a Western Digital SN550 1TB for my machine, and I bought just the mounting bracket off Deal4Go. I didn't think I needed the heatsink.

M.2 SSDs are tricky because they have an ideal temperature range iirc. Too hot or too cool and they don't perform as well as they should. 

The SN550 has never got warmer than 55c which is perfectly fine. It's not a hot running piece of kit though, so if you buy a higher performance model you may benefit from the heatsink. 

I added the original drive with the Deal4Go bracket and now I have 1TB WD + 512GB Samsung which is a good configuration.

Regarding opening the machine, it is a bit tricky but experience has taught me to be very patient (after I broke clips on my Dell G3 3590). I followed the instructions in the service manual about starting from one corner in particular.  Once you've done it once, it's easier the next time. 

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

September 3rd, 2021 13:00

Unfortunately I just ran into this same issue on a new G15 5510.  There is no way to add a second M.2 without buying additional hardware.  To make thinks worse, Dell says the hardware is not available from them.  Seriously, adding a second m.2 should be a simple task and Dell has made it a nightmare.  Don't you just love how Dell has three different departments to deal with; sales, customer support, and technical support, and how each department is quick to say one of the other two departments is who you need to talk to?  I am not very happy with Dell right now.  Hope you were successful at updating your laptop.  For now mine is still without a second SSD.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

September 9th, 2021 06:00

Update, I bought the bracket off Amazon and it worked perfectly.   Thumbs up to this community for help on this solution.   Thumbs down to Dell for no help at all on this solution. 

No Events found!