Dell G15 5525, Games crashing after few minutes

Dell G15 5525

Dell G15 5525

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 6800H

RAM: 16GB

GPU: Geforce RTX 3060

Games: Tiny Tactics, Detroit Become Human, Control Ultimate Edition

In-game setting: All graphics set to the lowest, ray-tracking turned off

Things I have tried: (1) updated nvidia graphics driver (2) turned off background irrelevant apps (3) uninstall and reinstall redownloaded nvidia graphics driver (4) redownloaded games

I can't play the game for more than a couple minutes without crashing, while I see people playing the same game perfectly on the Dell G15 with lower hardware 

September 18th, 2022 02:00

Hi and thanks in advance.

I used Dell Recovery Assistant to wipe my SSD clean and reinstall Win11. Afterwards i installed all needed/suggested drivers from the Dell website Support for Dell G15 5525 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US

What i tried afterwards in SupportAssist:
a) SupportAssist >>Home >> Troubleshooting >> I want to troubleshoot my PC>> I want to check a specific piece of software => Starts working and never finished (even after hours of waiting). Just a progress sign in the middle going round and round.

b)  SupportAssist >>Home >> Troubleshooting >> I want to troubleshoot my PC>> I want to check my whole PC => Starts working but shows 0% for hours. The activity history shows later that it ended with a nonspecific error.

c) SupportAssist >>Home >> Checks >> Do them all => no updates found, no files deleted, no performance optimization, 3 registry changes, unspecified error for hardware checks.

So, at the current moment i really believe this to be a hardware issue with the GPU or at least some GPU-related part. All games break down with some kind of message with "LowLevelFatalError".

When checking Windows11  "Security and Maintenance" => "View reliability report" then there i find many "hardware errors" with timestamps at the moment the games broke down.

So now i´m gonna start Dell SupportAssist and use the button "Get Support" to make Dell fix this problem. Lets see what that will do. Might take a couple of days (or maybe unfortunately weeks) till i have more news, but i´ll post again!   

P.S.: i will add pictures tomorrow, since  this Dell site won´t let me upload any pictures now (24h limit exceeded  and so on --.--')...

September 26th, 2022 15:00

Hi,

i got on the phone with Dell support, had to remove and reinstall all drivers, install windows 11 again and install all those drivers once more. Nothing helped, games just crashed within minutes.

Then 4 days ago finally a technician from Dell came to me and replaced the motherboard & graphics card (this is one combined unit in this laptop). Since then i had no more problems and all games are now finally running without problems.

Seems like there was some hardware problem either with the motherboard or (more likely) with the graphics card. 

i hope that getting your mobo changed will fix your problems, too.

591 Posts

September 9th, 2022 12:00

Hello,

G15 5525 has both a shared and a dedicated GPU when using a shared gpu a part of the available ram memory 16GB in your case is reserved for graphics so there is less processing power.

i would try windows key +r type "dxdiag" (no "") any errors in there ?  also make sure when playing videogames like that the version of microsoft directx is up2date  you can download directx from here  (this is an executable file).

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 9th, 2022 16:00

Drivers on laptops must come from Dell not Nvidia, Intel or other manufacturers. Dell customized the drivers for the Dell mainboard in the laptop. Also any updates if there are ever any updates must come from Dell. Install the original Dell driver for Nvidia .

Support for Dell G15 5525 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 9th, 2022 17:00

Can be a hardware issue. 

Run stress test on GPU, RAM and Processor one by one. 

While running these tests, it would be great if you can monitor the temperature of GPU and Processor side by side.  

Open SupportAssist >>Home >> Troubleshooting >> I want to troubleshoot my PC>> I want to check a specific piece of software 

Now run the test on GPU , Memory , CPU and SSD. If the system crashes on any of the tests, you should call dell for hardware replacement. you can HWINFO and task manager to check CPU and GPU temperatures while these tests are running  

if the machine doesn't crash while these tests are running, Factory RESET the machine. 

F12 > SupportAssist OS recovery > RESET > RESET and update

September 17th, 2022 08:00

Hi and thanks in advance.

directx is up2date. i tried your Directx link and the executable said i have the latest or a newer version installed.

i tried "dxdiag" and there were no errors shown.
2022-09-17_17h35_11.png2022-09-17_17h35_13.png2022-09-17_17h35_15.png

September 17th, 2022 08:00

For basic Bios and chipset drivers i´m all with your opinion. But with graphics drivers it should not matter if it was downloaded from dell or nvidia (at least in my 15+ years this was never a problem). 

Since i don´t know if there are any leftovers from previous installed drivers that cause my problem i took a rather bold move. I startet Dell Recovery Assistant, let it wipe my SSD and reinstall a clean Windows 11 installation from it. Afterwards i installed all needed/suggested drivers from the Dell website Support for Dell G15 5525 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US

Long story short:

all drivers installed, all available updates installed and my problem still persists. Games crash either instantly on starting gameplay or after few minutes.

September 26th, 2022 15:00

dude i have the same problem on the same exact laptop, ive tried everything, and its still doing it, they finally r sending out a new ssd and mobo, which i guess has the nvidia graphics attached to it and cant just replace the nvidia card, but in my event viewer im getting a ton of errors, off a fresh install of windows, its windows 11 i can almost guarantee it.

1 Message

November 20th, 2022 16:00

Same is happening is happening to my pc. I got the same exact model as my co-worker and we play the same games and this issue hasn't happened to his. I've reset the PC 6 times and even disabled overlays from apps such as Nvidia and tried no other apps running other than the games I play. I figured it could be a heat problem but even at 14c room temperature it crashes on both Alienware's game mode and normal mode. Now it has progressed to just crashing even when I'm just browsing Youtube. I even set the CPU and GPU to both 80% when using battery only and plugged in. Idk what else to do.

March 26th, 2023 12:00

There are several potential reasons why your Dell G15 5525 laptop may be experiencing game crashes after a few minutes of gameplay. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Update your graphics card drivers: Outdated graphics card drivers are a common cause of game crashes. Check to see if there are any updates available for your graphics card drivers and install them if so.

2. Adjust graphics settings: If your laptop's graphics card is struggling to handle the demands of a particular game, you may need to adjust the graphics settings to a lower level. Try lowering the resolution, turning off anti-aliasing, or reducing other graphics-intensive settings.

3. Monitor your laptop's temperature: Overheating can cause your laptop to shut down or crash during gameplay. Use a hardware monitoring tool to keep an eye on your laptop's temperature and make sure it stays within safe limits. If your laptop is running hot, you may need to clean the fans or invest in a cooling pad.

4. Check for background processes: Other programs running in the background can hog system resources and cause games to crash. Close any unnecessary programs before launching a game.

5. Verify game files: If the game crashes persist, try verifying the game files in the game launcher. Corrupted game files . TOS76>can cause crashes.

6. Reinstall the game: If none of the above steps work, try uninstalling and reinstalling the game. This can help fix any issues with corrupted or missing game files.

Hopefully, one of these steps will help resolve the issue and get you back to enjoying your games on your Dell G15 5525 laptop.

May 30th, 2023 00:00

Same issue here, I don't know what to do. Diablo 4 crashes no matter what I do, or configurations applied.
From time to time some more heavier games just crashes.

June 14th, 2023 17:00

Tried Diablo 4 on 4 times the resolution with everything on ultra, and 1080p with everything on low. The difference is that with Ultra the game seems to crash faster, but on both the game runs smooth for some minutes, the graphics card only reaches 80 degrees celcius and 5 of it's 6gb of gpu memory, also 80% of my RAM. Sometimes it crashes when I'm on a Google Meet call, just with my browser open, but this one is harder to happen.

The most common error I get is this:

The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video9
Error occurred on GPUID: 100

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

1 Message

June 25th, 2023 19:00

I am having a very similar issue across several other games - Destiny 2 and Mechabellum in particular. Tweaking settings for graphics in game does nothing. Destiny 2 claims that it loses contact with the graphics unit entirely, which seems interesting.

I've already had a Dell technician come out and replace the motherboard. Everything that I'm aware of is updated. I hope this can get worked out!

No Events found!