Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

3 Posts

April 24th, 2020 02:00

Dell G3 3590 with Ubuntu - many problems - Certified hardware?

For work reasons, I need a machine with a NVIDIA GPU and with hardware that is well support on Linux, so I just bought a Dell G3 3590 because it came pre-installed with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.  However, it has been a massive disappointment so far because I've had a number of problems:

1) After the initial setup, if I update the software (as recommended for security reasons), sound stops working.

2) If the computer enters in hibernation mode (which is the default behavior after some period of inactivity), the computer freezes, and I have to re-start the system by holding the on/off button for 30 seconds. 

3) I lose WiFi connection every 30min or so -- none of my other machines (which include various Windows Linux, and Mac computers; tablets; and various smart phones) have this problem in the same network

4) If I switch from the Nvidia GPU to the Intel GPU (to save energy when mobile) in Nvidia settings, and then I switch back to the Nvidia GPU, the external monitor is not detected anymore (I guess that the nouveau driver is the culprit here)

Note that my BIOS has been updated to the latest version 1.9.2 (as of today), and all built-in tests that come pre-installed with the computer are passing without any errors. Does anyone have any pointers to fix the above issues? I just bought this machine to have a hassle free Linux installation...

May 25th, 2020 18:00

I would add the sound problems.

Out of the box, on Ubuntu 18.04.2 sound and microphone work perfectly.
After the update to Ubuntu 18.04.4, neither sound nor microphone work any more. 

I've contact Dell's support and the analyst said this is an Ubuntu problem, not Dell's. I respectfully disagree.

I do not know what to do. Very disappointed. See my specs at the link below:

http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=7f4969c94b8b8652bdc5e7bb4317e674081198ca

Any help would be the most appreciated. 

Thanks,
Eduardo Service Tag:

3 Posts

May 26th, 2020 02:00

Hi Eduardo,

Please check my message on Launchpad:

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-certification/+question/690183 

The feedback from there is much better than that from Dell. The problem with the audio has been fixed with the following commands:

>>> cd /lib/firmware/intel/sof;sudo ln -s sof-cnl.ri sof-cfl.ri;reboot

1 Message

July 6th, 2020 08:00

Great! It Worked with me too. Thank you so much!

August 7th, 2020 08:00

I was waiting on the 20.04.1 point release... Looks lile Dell cut too many corners on this machine, and it costs a bit much to use it in a manner Dell feels like allowing me too. Same issues as before. They got to shaft me once, good on them I guess.

3 Posts

November 25th, 2020 14:00

cd /lib/firmware/intel/sof;sudo ln -s sof-cnl.ri sof-cfl.ri;reboot

This command is not working, but I already updated to 20.10 with hope of better compatibility.

Does it only work with the obsolete oem kernel? Staying on an outdated operating system can't be a solution anyway.

Anything else I can try?

3 Posts

November 25th, 2020 14:00

Same here, I bought this notebook because of Linux compatibility to avoid these kinds of problems!

This is very disappointing from dell !!

No Events found!