Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

3 Posts

October 7th, 2019 22:00

Dell G5 Blue Screen of Death - multiple different error messages and cannot Reinstall OS

I've had my G5 for about 6 weeks and last night it just completely up and died on me. The laptop switched off and since then it just rotates through various BSOD error messages:

system thread exception not handled

critical process died

irql not less or equal

invalid push lock flags

attempted execute of no excutable memory

As you can see, it's bad. Really bad. Dell tech support had me restart the laptop while holding the Function key to go into hardware diagnostics. It ran the checks and passed everything, so they assume its a software thing. This is beyond my means to fix, but I figured I would just do a fresh OS install (I only lost games, I'm pretty festidious about backing up anything important). I can get into BIOS and that's about it.

Thankfully I still have my old inspiron, so I was able to create an OS recovery USB from the dell site using my G5 service tag. All good so far.

F12 during start up - chose the USB to boot from... and then its back to Blue Screens of Death before it can even start.

Has anyone every had this happen to them?? How can I reinstall my OS? Format the machine first? I've had to do that before on an older machine... Is that a viable option?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 8th, 2019 04:00

Are you given any options to start your system in Safe Mode?

Can you get into a Command Prompt?

Can you boot into the USB drive with the recovery media?  Sounds like you can't..do you know for sure the USB drive is good?

Can you boot into a Win 10 USB Install drive?  Probably not but it might verify the validity of the recovery drive..

Any chance the system got overheated?

Can you remove the Drive and attempt to boot with just the USB drive?  Something to try but the error messages don't sound like this is the problem, although I have seen systems where a bad drive would keep the system from even getting into the Bios.

I have not heard of a Virus doing this type of thing..

It does look like something failed and it may not be something you can repair.. 

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

October 8th, 2019 05:00

The fact that you cannot even boot to the USB stick would seem to rule out a software problem. Even a virus infection does not seem to fit the bill. Either this is a hardware problem such as MB or CPU, or my guess is more a bad RAM module even though they tested fine in diagnostics. If pulling the drive does not make a difference, try pulling one of the RAM modules (assuming you have 2). If the problems persist then pull that RAM module and insert the other RAM module. And in a really desperate move think about replacing the CMOS (coin cell) battery. In another forum a user with very strange errors corrected it with that procedure...personally I think it is a stretch.

The only other thing I can guess, and it is really quite rare, is a BIOS virus. I have never seen one and there are many pro and con theories as to their existence. I am merely throwing out the possibility and let others debate the existence.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/cleanse-virus-bios-79706.html

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/removing-bios-virus

https://securelist.com/mybios-is-bios-infection-a-reality/36421/

And quite the discussion on this topic here..especially read the post from Chris M

https://www.dell.com/community/Virus-Spyware/BIOS-Virus-Verification/td-p/4532668

October 13th, 2019 12:00

Thanks for all the advice, people. It cetainly would seem like a hardware issue if I can't boot from USB and reinstall my OS. The problem is a bit beyond me so I've taken it to my local Dell trained and certified technician and he's going to do some diagnostics on it and see if he can nail it down. I'll report back when he gets back to me!

January 5th, 2020 11:00

Update to this post 3 months down the line - still not working.

I took it to my local Dell technician who confirmed it was a hardware problem - and a big one. I am currently working in the Cayman Islands, so Dell is very slow forthcoming about fixes.

So far he has had to replace the SSD as it was corrupted, and then the whole motherboard (which for some reason Dell sent a reburbished one of, not a new one. Next, it was the standard HHD. Each defective part has to be sent back to the US before a replacement is sent here. This laptop still doesn't work, and the technician (who has been great, but the delays with Dell have been atrocious) is now trying to have the entire machine replaced. He tried to speak to Dell about it on December 19th. Two weeks later they are still dragging their heels.

This is a $2000 machine I bought brand new that worked for 6 weeks, and has been in for repair, under warranty, for 3 months. THREE MONTHS. All the major hardware components failed because they were sub-standard and faulty. 

I wish I could talk to a Dell representitive to express how terrible their product, and their technical support (not including the actual technician doing the work) has been. I bought this laptop at the end of August and had it in my possesion for 6 weeks before the hardware failed over and over. I still do not have it back because Dell technical suport still have not rectified the problem.

1 Message

June 12th, 2020 10:00

I got around it by removing Update to Microsoft Windows KB4560960, it didn't happen to me before 3 days ago, and suddenly it started happening when I installed that update.. on 6/9/2020.

so I decided to remove the patch, after that no more INVALID_PUSH_LOCK_FLAGS blue screen.

I hope this helps more users because I'm now watching it with windows patches, stuff just breaks, until 3party figures out the 'tricks of windows patch programming'. is starting to be wiser to wait for the updates to your installed software before you install windows patches...

8 Posts

February 13th, 2021 16:00

Try disabling Turbo Boost from the BIOS

January 12th, 2023 12:00

This is not what I wanted to read... My sons G5 has the same symptoms; blue screens so often you can't get into Windows, blue screens when you try to boot from USB. I have flashed BIOS + firmware, swapped memory, disabled sound and network cards in bios, physically removed wifi card. Nothing has worked. Unfortunately this machine is out of warranty.

Sadly this sounds terminal...

No Events found!