Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 11th, 2020 04:00

Dell G5 cannot install Win 10 , cannot boot original HDD Win10 also

Hi there,

I have lots of years in IT but after 3 days of being unable to resolve this problem I am here for help.

Background, I got a DELL G5 with a HDD 1tb Window 10 working perfectly. I ran a couple of Win 10 reset using Dell restore process without any issues.

Important: 

- I updated BIOS to version 1.14.0

- Original 1TB HDD is untouched as it came from manufacture.

- BIOS setting SATA = RAID on, Secure Boot = ON

Here is where the problem started?

(a) I bought a M.2 SSD 512GB and got it installed

(b) I could not install Linux Centos (Red Hat 7.9) until I changed BIOS to SATA = AHCI

(c) Linux was installed on the M.2 drive and works perfected but as you can imagine the BIOS Boot "Windows Manager" stopped working due Win 10 drivers (SATA RAID) ... that is what I understand from all the reading.

(d) To make it simpler - I removed M.2, change SATA back to RAID ==> WIN 10 DOES NOT BOOT

To avoid messing with Original HD from Dell, I replaced with another HD to install Win 10 from scratch. This is what happened:

I wrote win10 image to a 8GB pen drive (tried 2 win10 versions as below) using 4 different methods.

Win10_20H2_English_x64.iso

Win10_1809_English_x64.iso

When boot starts I see the famous Windows image (4 blue squares) and a spinning image looping, never goes to the dialog "Installing Windows".

I tried BIOS changes (secure=off) ... removed bios battery ... always same issue.

Important: I take pen drive and put in a Lenovo X1 Carbon and Windows install dialog works every time. That means windows image is fine ... problem is DELL.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Borba.

7 Posts

November 12th, 2020 05:00

Another help I could get from experience DELL BIOS users is the following:

DELL Inspiron G5 

- original untouched HDD 1gb, all the dell windows restore partitions untouched.

- i have removed the M.2 sdd drive

- remove BIOS battery, reset BIOS  (SATA , Secure boot=on)

Start machine, no way to get Windows to start. Have tried adding Boot options manually pointing to EFI no luck.

7 Posts

November 12th, 2020 05:00

Spoiler
Image of HDD 1tb partitions as they came from Dell.

Screenshot from 2020-11-12 08-54-26.png

Image of HDD 1tb partitions as they came from Dell.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

November 12th, 2020 12:00

I don't have the patience to read all of that.

Tell us what you want to do.

13 Posts

November 12th, 2020 14:00

You installed Linux and now Dell is punishing you, long story short this is what I got from the support team: https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Can-t-get-support-for-my-unusable-new-Inspiron-17-3793/m-p/7736344#M101559

7 Posts

November 18th, 2020 13:00

The issue was identified when as a last resource I removed SATA HD cable and with help of a magnifier I noticed a small crack.

I ordered a cable on amazon NBX00027L00 CKF50 for U$ 14 bucks and all works as expected.

1TB SSD Samsung running Win 10

512 M.2 Samsung running Oracle Linux Unbreakable 7.9

If not for the bad sata cable, the only tweak to recognize M.2 drive was to set AHCI only for the installation of OS on the M.2.

Regards.

7 Posts

November 18th, 2020 13:00

Thanks for the inspiring reply.

No Events found!