Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

2 Posts

December 21st, 2020 03:00

Dell G7 17 7700 randomly overheating problem in Sleep mode

Hi. I have a problem. After closing the laptop lid, the laptop sometimes does not sleep (only some of the HW is switched off - only the screen goes out and the fans are switched off). But the CPU continues to run. This will be reflected in a few seconds when the temperature of the device rises to a very high temperature.

I have a Dell G7 17 7700 in the version of the i9 processor and the temperature reaches up to 95 degrees Celsius when I observe that even the individual plastics in the place of mounting the monitor begin to deform. The notebook is so hot up to half of the device (to the touchpad), but the plastics are no longer deformed.

This is probably a problem at the software level, so I solved it at this level:
Steps by which I tried to solve the problem:
1. driver update, including BIOS, via Dell Updater utility for Windows 10 (this did not solve the situation)
1b. I tried to set the BIOS to the default settings
2. I downloaded and installed the official version of ISO windows from your site with pre-installed drivers. And I deleted the previous version of Windows (clean install). (in a short time the problem reappeared)
3. I downloaded and installed a clean installation of ISO Windows (not from Delll but from Microsoft). (In a short time with e-discovered problem again).

When I installed Linux, the problem did not occur even once (testing for 9 days).

I'm currently solving the problem by not putting the laptop to sleep by closing the lid, but by selecting "Sleep" in the Start menu and only then closing the lid. That's how it works without problems.

A word in conclusion:
Deformation of the plastics bothers me but does not prevent me from working, and it seems that the laptop inside is not damaged because it works. I expect the service life to be shortened by a few years, and I'd like you to test Dell Notebooks better before selling them.

The defects that appear are more.
For example, some keys on the keyboard are squeaked when pressed. Or, occasionally, the Cortana icon appears on the taskbar in Windows, although this button is hidden (about every 4 days), which also affects clean Windows after installing the drivers (I assume that one of the drivers is causing this problem).

Otherwise, I'm happy with the laptop and it's a very successful machine. For that price (European market, Australian prices) I would expect much higher quality.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 21st, 2020 10:00

Check out the information provided by AdrianG001 in the link below. Hopefully it will help resolve your problem.

Solved: G7 17 7790 extremely hot when in sleep mode - Dell Community

2 Posts

December 21st, 2020 17:00

I can't use hibernation because a similar problem occurs at the HW level when the computer starts. I observed that during hibernation, the laptop seems to wake up from sleep mode and restart to hibernation mode. However, when the notebook is restarted, the boot sequence sometimes gets stuck (before the DELL logo appears). When I reinstalled Windows several times (as I mentioned in the previous post), this happens regularly only after the automatic download and installation of Windows updates. Windows updates in the background and I don't know what exactly is being updated (so far I'm dealing with disabling updates from third-party tools). The laptop doesn't wake up even after half an hour and I'm on the same problem as in the first post, just with the difference that the fans spin in this problem. The situation must then be solved by holding down the power button for 10+ seconds. Then the laptop shuts down completely and starts up in the usual way. However, both problems recur over time. For example, 36 times the laptop sleeps normally and after 37 it appears to have fallen asleep but is then extremely hot. Or it goes into hibernation 30 times or restarts normally and crashes at boot after 31. In both cases, there is only a black screen. Occasionally, this behavior can be recognized by the numeric keypad LED or the caps lock LED stayed on, which should go out. But when the lid of the laptop is closed, you can't even see the LEDs, so you don't know about that. That's why I going to the sleep via the Start-Sleep menu.

In the BIOS, in the search after entering the term S3, I just found the item "Block Sleep", which was and is at the value "OFF".

No Events found!