Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

5 Posts

December 30th, 2019 00:00

Dell G7 7590 5Ghz Wifi issue

Hi,

I've experienced issue with 5 Ghz Wifi connection on my Dell G7 7590. Laptop can connect to 5Ghz wifi but no internet connection. I had talked to Dell support for a week now and their is still no resolution.

I'd tried to update Killer wifi card driver, update windows 10 to 1909, update BIOS, uninstall Smart Byte but non seem to fix the problem.

Note: For wifi 2.4 Ghz, there is no issue at all.

Any advice...Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

December 30th, 2019 06:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @maxiniac 

Have you tried the drivers from Killer ???

https://support.killernetworking.com/software/

Best regards,

U2

5 Posts

December 30th, 2019 11:00

Yeah, I tried that already but doesn't help.

I did use Killer uninstall tool first, then uninstall device driver and clean install with driver from killer website...

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

December 30th, 2019 12:00

@maxiniac 

Then if under warranty have Dell replace the WiFi card.

If not replace the Killer WiFi card with an Intel WiFi card.

Regards,

U2

5 Posts

January 4th, 2020 06:00

Update
  1. After Dell had replaced wifi card, the issue was still not resolved, Therefore I tried replacing Dell's Killer wifi card with my spare Intel wifi card (From my previous MSI laptop), and then, I can connect to 5Ghz. (This issue then, not originate from the card itself)
  2. Dell support has contact me to try configure advance wifi card setting in device manager, 802.11n & Preferred band: 5Ghz. This seem to fix the issue partially as I can now connect to 5Ghz wifi but the speed is slower than my previous MSI laptop 140 Mbps compare to 200 Mbps. (Dell support thinks that it is the result of incompatibility between Windows 10 v.1909 and Killer wifi card driver).

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

January 4th, 2020 07:00

@maxiniac 

What is the model number of the WiFi you installed???

The Intel AC-9260 would be a good choice as there are drivers for it on your Support Pages???

Intel AX200/AX201/9260/9560/9462 WiFi UWD Driver:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=525gf&oscode=wt64a&productcode=g-series-15-7590-laptop

Intel AX200/AX201/9260/9560/9462/8265/8260/7265/3165 Bluetooth UWD:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=9303n&oscode=wt64a&productcode=g-series-15-7590-laptop

Intel® Wireless-AC 9260:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/99445/intel-wireless-ac-9260.html

Supports Bluetooth and MU-MIMO!!!

Best regards,

U2

NOTE:

In my opinion, the Killer WiFI card was a bad choice by Dell !!!

5 Posts

January 5th, 2020 06:00

@U2CAMEB4ME I tested with my Intel AC3160, Killer card is really annoying.....

Will keep AC-9260 in mind, if I will upgrade the card, thanks!

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

January 5th, 2020 08:00

Your very welcome @maxiniac 

Regards,

U2

• 

25.7K Posts

January 10th, 2020 01:00

Thank you for your patience. 
I can understand if this took a while, but I have an update to share it with you. 

As per the email from the product engineering team, we'd need to follow a few steps for the issue to be addressed. 

I'd request you to update the firmware on the router and let us know the outcome.
If you've already done that, please confirm, so that we can proceed further. 

Thank you. 

Dell - Khalander.

5 Posts

February 10th, 2020 05:00

/// Update 10 FEB 2020

Today a technician came onsite trying to fix my issue, He did try to solve the problem for 6 Hours straight! But unfortunately, the problem can’t be solved.

The problem seems to happen whenever there is an external display connected to the laptop, only then the (5Ghz) internet connection will fail.

Note: 2 LCD monitors (LG & HP) were used during testing, both have the same result of failing to connect to the internet.

Note: Now, I have to fall back to previous Dell advice to configure wifi setting to be “802.11n” mode in “device manager” to make my internet connection works, but the speed is so slow, only 140Mbps. Normally if it works during today fixing, it will run at 220Mbps in “802.11ac” mode.

Note: Replacing new Killer wifi card  was tried, Now Dell supply me with Intel AC 9560.

---------------------------

Let me recap what he tried for 6 hours

He did
1.) Replace new SSD and clean install new windows 10 (1903 Build), Update driver from Dell website.
Note: Since this doesn’t solve the problem, he then put the old SSD back.

2.) Replace new mainboard and update Bios to the latest version.

Note: He did call Dell tech support and explain to them that the problem seems to happen whenever external display is connected.

3.) Change Power Profile to be “Best performance”
Note: It seem to solve the problem for a while, 4 hours to be exact.

I asked the same technician a minutes ago via chat, He suspect that it has nothing to do with the external monitor but the wifi antenna embedded in the laptop.

Note: I called Dell last time (January 2020), Dell mentioned that wifi antenna embedded in the display screen, however; during today fixing, the technician examined  the spare display screen part and mentioned that there is no antenna embedded. Antenna likely embedded on the touch pad or keyboard.

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

January 20th, 2021 18:00

I just found your post and I have the same problem, this is the 2nd time a technician comes to replace the wifi card and It works for some days and suddenly It starts to fail. I was surprised about your outcome and findings.  Today I had the problem again and I was about to report the issue to DELL but I check your notes and I wanted to try the same for my laptop so I went ahead and disconnect my display and suddenly I'm connected to my 5ghz

Things I tried, I replaced my modem, upgrade my internet plan and accept the replacement twice for my wifi card, factory reset .... 

My own test based on what you found

I notice my 5ghz fails only when I use the HDMI  and It works as long as I use the type C. @maxiniac 

I'm using a Dell U2419HC, so the displays are not the problem

1 Message

February 22nd, 2022 01:00

TYVM! This is exactly what happened I tried everything as well.
Killer AC1550 just wouldn't work on 5g wifi unless I unplugged the HDMI.
Works with displayport!

No Events found!