Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 22nd, 2019 21:00

Dell G7 7790 BIOS Update 1.5.1 Broke My Machine

Updated my G7 laptop today to bios 1.5.1 and now many games when I play the GPU randomly spikes and stays spiked at 100% usage and my fps drops down to like 5fps or less for like a minute, then suddenly goes back to normal for a few minutes.  I didn't install any other updates than that and I also did a system restore just in case to yesterday when things were perfect and didn't fix it so I think it's gotta be the BIOS update.  I also did a clean install of the GeForce drivers and didn't make a difference.  Bad thing is there's no reverting back to the old one, even the auto recovery doesn't work.  What do I do!?  I just got this and now it's pretty much unusable to play games!

*edit - I ended up getting Dell to refund me and bought something else.  Even after the 1.6.0 BIOS came out it didn't fix it, it made it lesser of an issue in that the fps dropped to like 20fps instead of 5, but it still was an issue in any game I played.  

73 Posts

June 11th, 2019 20:00

Ya I have a feeling any new mobo will have something newer than 1.3.1 unfortunately but hopefully you get lucky!  It's definitely still screwy, I ended up playing some more Overwatch and it would randomly drop down to 20fps after about 5 min of play and it would just keep jumping around constantly like that.  Then I fired up a game I hadn't played in a while CoD Black Ops 4 and it was doing the same in there too.  

5 Posts

June 12th, 2019 04:00

Do you have an undervolting processor? What are the temperatures of a video card when power throttling works? Earlier, when my frame rate dropped to 5fps, the temperature of the video card was 71 degrees, it is now warming up to 75 and so far has not dropped anything. Checked for about 20 minutes in battlefield 5.

73 Posts

June 12th, 2019 06:00

@Marat_G wrote:

Do you have an undervolting processor? What are the temperatures of a video card when power throttling works? Earlier, when my frame rate dropped to 5fps, the temperature of the video card was 71 degrees, it is now warming up to 75 and so far has not dropped anything. Checked for about 20 minutes in battlefield 5.

No it's not a throttling issue as my temps were staying around 78 and my CPU was staying at 3.9Ghz the entire time.  I tried with and without throttlestop running too where I had a .125 undervolt.  

5 Posts

June 12th, 2019 10:00

Who else has fps drawdowns? Write please. I just played 1 hour in battlefield 5, ultra settings, no dxr, no v-sync. It's okay. There is an undervolting on a -140mv processor. The temperature on the video card rose to 76 degrees, the processor averaged 86 degrees. I have a processor with a smaller tdp, 8300h, maybe this is the answer. The total energy consumption is less than that of the 8750h, so power throttling, if it works, then later.

5 Posts

June 12th, 2019 10:00

Who else has fps drawdowns? Write please. I just played 1 hour in battlefield 5, ultra settings, no dxr, no v-sync. It's okay There is an undervolting on a -140mv processor. The temperature on the video card rose to 76 degrees, the processor averaged 86 degrees. I have a processor with a smaller tdp, 8300h, maybe this is the answer. The total energy consumption is less than that of the 8750h, so power throttling, if it works, then later.

9 Posts

June 12th, 2019 11:00

I confirm that there were no more problems with FPS drawdown. The temperature of the video card during the game is about 70-75 degrees, the temperature of the processor is about 75-80 degrees. I tried to play MORDHAU, Quake champions, Apex Legends, Overwatch and Escape Frome Tarkov.

73 Posts

June 18th, 2019 07:00

Not sure how you guys were not having anymore problems.  I ended up putting the original factory OS install on there after BIOS 1.6.0 and the issues remained.  It was definitely improved, instead of dropping to 5fps and staying there for 30 secs every few min it was dropping to like 20fps for just a moment then going back to normal here and there but it was doing it in every game I tried which was Rage 2, Steep, MK11, and Overwatch.  I had no issues like that ever before that cursed update came out, everything remained at a solid 60 until then.  Luckily I was able to get approved for a refund and it's going back today.  Thanks everybody for the chatting and assistance in at least getting them to pull that bad update and good luck in the future!

16 Posts

June 22nd, 2019 15:00

Can anyone else report on the 1.6.1 bios update? 

• 

17K Posts

June 24th, 2019 04:00

jsOuth,

The latest bios 1.6.1 fixes the fps drop while playing games. Click the link below for downloading and installing the updated bios.

Dell G7 7790 Bios Download

For my notes, Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number as well as your registered name, email address, and phone number.

73 Posts

July 8th, 2019 10:00

Think you are lucky, I'm still seeing some other recent posts with G5s and G7s having fps drop spikes like I was describing.  So strange how a BIOS update could affect some people but not others.

12 Posts

After the 1.6.0 update I did not have any issues at all and I have played for Hours now. They did not have to change anything from the computer at The end. I Will leave that BIOS version on my computer and Will not change it at all no matter if they release new bios in the future since Is very stable for me this one.

12 Posts

Can you share some links of those posts? I want to read and help those if I can.

73 Posts

Not that I care all that much anymore now that I was able to refund my G7, but curious if anybody else is still fighting this?  I saw that they briefly released a 1.7.0 I believe it was BIOS and then later pulled it so obviously there are still shoddy BIOS updates being put out for this thing.  

73 Posts

Something else I just ran across that I didn't find before was this article from Nov 2018 where the XPS line had this issue https://www.notebookcheck.net/Some-Dell-XPS-15-9570-laptops-may-have-a-BIOS-related-GPU-bug.355026.0.html after a BIOS update and that sounds likely what was happening on the G7.  Maybe that's why it was affecting some and not others, they found a workaround to make the GPU work harder so it ran hot enough to make the GPU run at full capacity.  Maybe that's why when I was observing mine I always noted good temps, maybe my temps were too good and yours for example were above the threshold to not have the issue.  

73 Posts

@Robertleont wrote:

Can you share some links of those posts? I want to read and help those if I can.

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Dell-g5-5587-Usage-and-fps-drops/m-p/7329046#M57176

I don't have the Reddit ones handy but they are there somewhere

No Events found!