Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

3 Posts

July 12th, 2018 16:00

Dell G7 - CPU stuck at 0.8 GHz on Battery

Hello there!

Ever since I got my Dell G7, I've been having a blast with it when plugged into an outlet. But as soon as I disconnect the charging cable and attempt to do anything on battery, the laptop becomes completely unusable. Of course, I didn't expect the battery to be able to power the GTX 1060 inside, and I'm not planning to play demanding games while on battery. My problem lies in the fact that the laptop is completely unusable! My girlfriend's Intel i3-4000M runs faster than my i7-8750H because unlike hers, as soon as I go on battery, my CPU speed is limited to 800 MHz, according to Task Manager. Opening a web browser may be possible with 5 minutes of patience, but watching videos or doing anything more complex than reading a word document is pretty much impossible. As I've said, the machine is 100% unusable while in this vegetative mode.

I've tried switching things around the BIOS, I tried creating alternative power plans, and setting the minimum CPU power usage to 50%, 75% and even 100% in the existing "Dell" and "Balanced" power plans as well, but to no avail. I'm out of options, as there seems to be no real answer online.

Is this something that can be worked around? I thought that going on battery would mean playing on the integrated Intel Graphics 630 instead of the GTX 1060, not that it would make my computer slower than a 5-year-old budget laptop.

Thank you in advance for the help.
A worrying costumer

9 Posts

September 21st, 2018 18:00

It worked for me ! Now I an use my notebook on battery, finally! !

26 Posts

September 23rd, 2018 16:00

what exactly did you do? There are many solutions offered in that thread.

1 Message

September 24th, 2018 21:00

Hi,

I had a similar problem with new Precision series.

What helped is to go to control panel->change battery settings->change plan settings(only balanced shown if dell power manager is installed)->change advanced power settings->Processor power management->Maximum processor state:

on battery, it is 50% and if changed to 100% everything goes faster but keep in mind, that battery is drained also 2...3 times faster!image.png

It is quite annoying that there is no easy way to adjust processor speed for each power manager "level"

image.png

Currently thinking of deleting Dell Power Manager completely and rely completely on Windows 10 power plans. If I have time to test it out, I will let you know how battery life was affected also.

9 Posts

September 28th, 2018 04:00

@Alar wrote:

Hi,

I had a similar problem with new Precision series.

What helped is to go to control panel->change battery settings->change plan settings(only balanced shown if dell power manager is installed)->change advanced power settings->Processor power management->Maximum processor state:

on battery, it is 50% and if changed to 100% everything goes faster but keep in mind, that battery is drained also 2...3 times faster!image.png

It is quite annoying that there is no easy way to adjust processor speed for each power manager "level"

image.png

Currently thinking of deleting Dell Power Manager completely and rely completely on Windows 10 power plans. If I have time to test it out, I will let you know how battery life was affected also.

Thanks for your sharing. Unfortunately I already make this changes and I did not get better performance. 

9 Posts

September 28th, 2018 04:00

@mnewxcv wrote:

what exactly did you do? There are many solutions offered in that thread.

Jump to solution!

September 28th, 2018 22:00

Did you try using Intel extreme tuning utility software. Check your current TDP there and try setting it to maximum tdp allowed by your chip(generally 45 watt) and do a stress test. Let me know if you are able to change tdp of your chip. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

3 Posts

September 29th, 2018 21:00

Can you please elaborate on this. How were you able to resolve the problem. Is it the same mentioned in XPS solution (Disconnecting battery, holding power button for 3-45 seconds).??

26 Posts

October 1st, 2018 15:00

so you unplugged the battery and how you arent throttling on battery power?

3 Posts

October 7th, 2018 21:00

I've tried taking off the back twice, disconnecting the battery, holding the start button down for 30 seconds. And nothing has really worked. My G7 will jump up to maybe 1.2 - 1.5, but randomly it'll go right back to .79 GHz. I guess that's better than nothing but it still **bleep**. 

If anyone has an alternative solution to removing the battery, please let me know. Really annoying but I want this computer to work. I really like it. 

3 Posts

October 9th, 2018 09:00

Just got the latest BIOS (v1.50) and it seems to have helped. Now the CPU drops to 1.6GHz under a stress test while on battery life. I can also play 4k youtube videos without stuttering (before I couldn't even do 1080p smoothly).

So either I got lucky, or the new bios solved the issue.

77 Posts

October 9th, 2018 15:00

You guys are facing Power Limit Throttling!!! 

Only BIOS update can fix this permanently

Temporary fixes --

1)Undervolt your CPU using XTU. Watch this video  ---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6LgeE56cQ4

2) Download ThrottleStop using the link https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Now install it and you will see many options. Focus on "BD PROCHOT"

Uncheck it and then click on the save button

This will definitely work

BD prochot is something that underclocks the CPU when temps are too high to help run the CPU in a safe environment. Disabling it will stop any kind of throttling.

So guys use a cooling fan while playing games. After disabling bd prochot, the CPU temps can be very high so I suggest everyone to disable turbo boost and undervolt the CPU. Disabling turbo boost will reduce the CPU frequency to the base clock and hence reduce the heat produced. There is an option "Disable turbo" in ThrottleStop 

Do this at your own risk

Cheers!

October 18th, 2018 18:00

I've been going crazy trying to fix this issue myself. I updated the BIOS, changed every power setting imaginable, and was still not able to stream any video without immense stuttering, my mouse was barely moving at some points. My wife has the same exact computer and I noticed she was having no issues doing anything on battery. I checked her power settings and saw she was using the default Dell plan included in the power options. I switched my option to the Dell one and no issues so far!

3 Posts

October 19th, 2018 08:00

So it looks like I've found a solution (at least for the past two days). Here are the steps/notes I followed:

1. Kept the BIOS at 1.3 - I didn't want to upgrade the BIOS to 1.5, as I've heard there's been temp issues so I'm still azt 1.3 However, I have a suspicion that it's not BIOS related (I'll explain in point 4). So maybe you don't need to panic and downgrade. 
  2. Removed the battery - I removed the back of the G7, unplugged the battery, held down the power button for 30 seconds, and put it back together, this helped somewhat but it was superficial, the throttling came back within minutes. 
  3. Throttlestop profile for battery mode - I created a battery profile on Throttle stop to disable BD PROCHOT, undervolted the CPU Cach/Core to -125 hz. HOWEVER, after disabling MSI Afterburn (4th point below) I've disabled Throttlestop and the throttling stops as well, so maybe this step isn't necessary. 
  4. MOST IMPORTANTLY: I disabled MSI Afterburner - I'm a bit of an **bleep**, but I didn't realize that MSI Afterburner was running in the background, I had my GPU overclocked to 152/58 hz, which I assume, was causing the throttling. With it off, or at 0/0 hz, I haven't been experiencing the .79 hz CPU throttle. 

Hopefully this helps you, with the dude who posted above about his wife who has a G7 as well, let me know if you happen to have MSI Afterburner running and she doesn't. If that's the case, 

1 Message

October 24th, 2018 23:00

Super, finally a pragmatic solution! Even though I have a G5 5587, based on following this thread now for more than a month, it may very well be that it could help me too. I've bought the laptop with Linux, and installed Windows myself, fetching all drivers and other system software using the SupportAssist, also keeping them up-to-date regularly, but no such profile was retrieved for me. So I'm just curious if one can download that mentioned power profile somehow from Dell, since automatically it is not...

7 Posts

November 2nd, 2018 04:00

I'm also using that bios revision. Sometimes I get lucky and the processor runs at 1.6G but sometimes it drops to 0.8/

No Events found!