Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 2nd, 2018 09:00

Dell IDT Audio Driver not compatible with Creators Update

This has been an issue for me for a few months, but it seems my laptop's supported IDT driver is not compatible with the latest Windows 10 Creators Update.

The latest driver that Dell lists is version 6.10.0.6365, A03 (92HD87B1) which was last updated 04 Sep 2015. The laptop model is N5110.

Some quick googling reveals that other manufacturers encountered this same problem:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Audio/No-Sound-After-Windows-10-Fall-Creators-Update/td-p/6392645
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/idt-sound-driver/a059e727-d198-4c8a-b50a-c24c72e06f63

To "fix" this, Windows installs a generic audio driver, but this removes Dell specific features like the IDT control panel, SRS enhancement, Andrea processing, etc. SRS enhancement is especially necessary as it optimises the loudness and clarity for Dell's laptop speakers.

A previous thread about this is here: https://www.dell.com/community/General/N5110-sound-is-not-working-after-installing-window-10/m-p/4623424

Are there any plans for Dell to update older IDT drivers to work with Windows 10 Creators Update and restore these missing features?

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2018 09:00

Hello! The last supported operating system for your computer was Windows 8. As such, installing Windows 10 was at your own risk. In order to get the audio to work you will have to use the basic drivers. This was a problem with older laptops and desktops as the OEMs for chipsets like IDT, Intel, Realtek, etc., could not or would not update their older product to work with Windows 10 when it came out so Microsoft had to fill in the gap as best they could. The SRS and other features probably were not included in the generic driver due to licensing issues or because they are proprietary to IDT or other companies.

35 Posts

February 2nd, 2018 12:00

Ah that makes sense. I guess I'll just have to find third party solutions for SRS-like audio.

Thanks for the quick and detailed response!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 2nd, 2018 12:00

Hello. You "might" be able to resolve this by installing one of the IDT drivers using compatibility mode. For example:

1. Download and save this IDT 6.10.0.6365 audio driver (for Win7) to your desktop or any convenient location on the hard drive.
2. Double click on the new folder to extract (unzip) the driver files.
3. The extractor wizard will create a new folder for the driver files. It will be at "c:\dell\drivers\xxxxxx". Write down the exact location that the wizard creates.
4. If the driver begins to install automatically, halt (cancel) the installation.
5. Browse to the driver files on the hard drive (the location you wrote down).
6. Find the "setup.exe" file.
7. Right click on setup.exe to open the context menu.
8. Select the Properties.
9. Select the Compatibility tab.
10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for "... Win7".

Or try the Win8 IDT driver for the N5110 and use compatibility for Win8.

October 27th, 2018 16:00

I found this solution and it worked for me... This is the ONLY solution that worked on my Dell Latitude E6400 Laptop and I tried countless.... Kudos to whoever found this... I would like to take credit, but it wasn't me...

Latitude e6400, e6500 Windows 10 updated to 1803: no sound

I have 2 Dell e6400's with sound problems after Windows 10 version 1803 update. I tried every solution I could find. I even thought it was the speakers so I replaced them, still the same thing. I read somewhere on the internet to "disable" eSATA ports in bios, this worked perfect ! both of my e6400 laptops the sound was sputtering, jittering, poping, distorted, flickering webcam, bad sound and video playback on dvd's all fixed ! Just go into bios ( make sure your bios is updated to latest version ) scroll down to "System Configuration" \ "Miscellaneous Devices" click on this on the left side of the bios screen, on the right side of the screen uncheck the "Enable eSATA Ports" check box, click on "Apply" at the bottom of the screen,  exit bios, and that should fix it. This solution may work on other laptops. I don't know why it works ? It must be some kind of internal software conflict.

Important: If you ever load "Bios Defaults" you may have to uncheck "enable eSATA Ports" again.

1 Message

November 12th, 2018 10:00

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been searching for days and days always seeing it is the driver but couldn't find one that would install. I tried your solution and it worked for me too. Don't know what made you think of disabling the eSATA ports but I'm grateful you did!

35 Posts

November 12th, 2018 11:00

fwiw, Jim Coates' method of installing the driver via Compability Mode worked for me. I don't remember if I tried Windows 7 or 8 but the driver works totally fine after that. You have to set the installed binaries (IDTNGUI.exe, etc.) to compatibility mode also to use the IDT Control Panel.

2 Posts

July 18th, 2019 22:00

The trick of disabling eSATA in the BIOS worked for me.  I have an old Latitude E4300 that's running Windows 10.  After some recent major update, I think from October 2018, I got bad buzzy noises when playing an old game, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.  It was quite annoying.  I didn't have audio problems in general, just this game.  I figure it was using some old compatibility layer.  I went looking for a more recent IDT 92HDxxx HD Audio driver than what was readily available in Drivers and Downloads, but no luck.  Web searching for some kind of hack, led me here.  It worked!

After changing the BIOS setting, I did have an intermediate problem where for some reason, my system locked up trying to play the game.  Using Device Manager I uninstalled the audio drivers.  Then I ran some Windows troubleshooter somehow, I think it happened when I clicked on the speaker icon.  Then I had to reboot.  After doing all of that, the game worked ok.  So you might have a bit of cleanup work to do, after making the BIOS change.

No Events found!