Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

2 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 00:00

Dell Inspiron 15 7586 fan noise issue.

Hello,

I've just got my dell inspiron 15 7586 and noticed an issue while using them.

When the CPU usage is at below 10% and temperature hovers between 42'C ~ 48'C,

the fan would often turn on and create noise.

From my understanding, I thought that the fans are supposed to be turned on when the CPU usage and temperature is high, however, that doesn't seem to be for my case which is annoying.

So if there is some sort of setting that I could access or suggestion to prevent this from happening , that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

• 

17K Posts

April 23rd, 2019 04:00

1 Message

August 8th, 2019 01:00

Hi, I've got a brand new Dell Inspiron 7586 with a similar fan issue. Basically, the fan is on ALL THE TIME. Even if the laptop is idle. A few minutes after switching the laptop on, the fan kicks in and stays on until you turn the machine off again. Even if you leave the laptop on overnight with no tasks, the fan runs all the time. The noise is super irritating. It's winter here and I work in an office, it's a normal environment. I've lifted the laptop up onto some supports to improve the cooling and the airflow. I'm doing normal office work with the laptop, browsing the internet, emails, word, some excel, nothing CPU heavy. The suggested fix with the Dell Power Manager only reduces the fan speed but it doesn't fix the actual issue, the fan is still on all the time, just at a lower speed. I've had Dell laptops since 2010. None of my old laptops does this. Please help. Thank you

December 20th, 2019 10:00

I have had the same problem. Did you find a resolution? It's very irritating because this was not a cheap laptop! I might have been better off with a cheaper one.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 21st, 2019 05:00

Hi Professor Kim

Please run Dell ePSA Preboot Diagnostic to check the fan and other hardware within the computer. You could this by following the steps in link below. Report back any error code .

ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment (Official Dell Tech Support)

https://youtu.be/qeHNSxW7VSM

If there's no error code, installed the latest Chipsets drivers and Dell Power Manager Services onto system. Install one by one and in correct order.

Note: Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework (Chipset driver) is a power and thermal management solution that is used to resolve fan noise, overheating, and performance-related issues of the system  

How to Install Dell Drivers in the Correct Order | Dell US

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln148687/how-to-install-dell-drivers-in-the-correct-order?lang=en 

After installing, verify latest Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework management is correctly installed in device manager. Type Device Manager onto search box, right click Intel driver, select Properties. You might have to expand each headings to find it. 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 21st, 2019 06:00

After installing latest Dell drivers, restart computer. Now, make sure computer have latest window updates. Type Settings onto search box, select Update & Security, 'Check For Updates.  Please note window updates provide important drivers updates, such as network adapters, chipset, printers, and video cards.

Lastly, type Dell Power Manager Services onto search box, select Thermal Manger in application, and then choose the thermal setting that fix your needs. Hopefully this will help reduce the fan noise.

Dell Power Manager User's Guide

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/power-manager/dpm_ug/install-dell-power-manager-from-the-dell-support-site?guid=guid-55b93e01-f7ef-435c-8800-b887b246ee2a&lang=en-us

Capture.PNG

July 15th, 2020 01:00

I have the same fan noise problem with another dell laptop model.  The fan was running at full speed even when the computer was idle (cpu at 5% or lower).  The whole fan unit was replaced a few months after the laptop was purchased due to this exact same problem.  Now that the warranty has ran out the cpu fan noise problem came right back.  The only explanation is dell is using poorly designed and low quality fan on its laptops.  Many other lines of dell laptops have the same problem including the xps line, which is suppose their more expensive offering. 

No Events found!