Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

January 15th, 2018 13:00

Dell Inspiron 15z white screen

I have an Inspiron 15z with a touch screen. In the past few months it has started turning the screen all white after working for a few minutes. If I power off and then back on it comes back, but only lasts a few minutes. I have run all of the diagnostics for the display and it doesn't show a problem. I ran the video card diagnostics... no problem shows. I have opened the display and checked the display connection and it looks OK. Anybody else have any ideas or have similar issued? Thanks

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 15th, 2018 17:00

:BigSmile:

Please list Dell model number and version of windows. Example: Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10

If you don't know, type msinfo32 onto the search box, stroll down to System Model, you should see it now. 

7 Posts

January 15th, 2018 18:00

Its Dell Inspiron 5579, Windows 10 home

7 Posts

January 15th, 2018 19:00

well, I tried to update the bios, and while it was starting the screen went white and now I don't know what is happening with the pc. I know you are not supposed to interrupt the bios update, but I don't know where it is at in the process.... any suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 15th, 2018 19:00

I'd suggest updating the System Setup(BIOS). Please follow the steps in link below to safety installed the latest BIOS version.

How to Update BIOS (Official Dell Tech Support)

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 15th, 2018 20:00

You mention running diagnostics for the display, you were referring to the Dell LCD BIST Test ? If no, follow the steps in the link below to run test.The Dell utility is a built-in diagnostic tool that helps determine if the screen abnormality you are experiencing is an inherent problem with the LCD (screen) of the computer or with the video card (GPU) and PC settings.

How do I Run Diagnostics on a Dell Laptop LCD? | Dell US

Note: If you do not detect any screen abnormalities in the built-in self test mode, the laptop LCD is functioning properly. Check the video card (GPU) and PC settings. If you do notice any abnormalities in the built-in self test mode, you may get the laptop LCD repaired/replaced if it is under warranty by contacting Dell Technical Support

7 Posts

January 15th, 2018 20:00

Apparently I have the latest BIOS, and my screen still goes all white after a few minutes(which makes it hard to get anything done). Any other suggestions?

7 Posts

January 16th, 2018 05:00

Yes, I have run the LCD BIST test. It shows no problem. I do not know how the video card(GPU) and PC settings could contribute to a random screen failure. Like I said when it does this, I hit the power button briefly to sleep, then a couple of minutes later I hit it again to wake up and the screen is back. I got on this board because I cant help but think I am the only person to ever have this happen. None of the other settings have been changed. I have a new PC I am using but this is the only thing wrong with the other one I am writing about. Seems a shame to just throw it away. Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 16th, 2018 09:00

If the system still is experiencing problems with the screen after installing Chipset and Video drivers, I suggest contacting Dell Technical Support for further assistance in the link below.

Contact Information | Dell US

Or....

How to Create a Support Request Online? | Dell US

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 16th, 2018 09:00

Please download / installed the latest Chipset and Video drivers from your Dell Product Support page in correct order or one by one.

How to reinstall drivers in the correct order | Dell US

EDIT / Intel Graphics Driver (Video):

Drivers for video cards, also known as video adapters, graphics card, display adapters and video boards. Video drivers control how data is passed between a PC and its display (monitor or built-in LCD). In some cases, a driver allows the user to adjust display properties such as refresh rate, color depth and screen resolution.

7 Posts

January 16th, 2018 15:00

Thanks for your suggestions. This computer had a windows issue, but was having the screen white problems before. I loaded a fresh version of Windows 10 home onto it after I got my new PC. I believe it has all of the correct drivers on it. I do not believe that this is a software problem. The reason I got on this site was to see if anyone else has had this problem. This PC is out of warranty therefore I am trying to fix it myself.

6 Posts

January 17th, 2018 08:00

Been having same problem with my Inspiron 15 5565 Windows 10 (out of warranty one month!!).  Have a post that I started late last week.  Have tried BIOS update also and problem continues.  

7 Posts

January 17th, 2018 08:00

Thanks for the response. I too ran all of the diagnostics and it shows NO hardware problem, and I have a fresh install of Windows 10 Home.  I finally called the out of warranty Dell line. I'm gonna send them the PC for extensive diagnosis by Dell(39.00) includes shipping, to see if it is worth fixing. I have a new PC, but the only thing wrong with this one is the white screen thing(seems a shame to just pitch it). They said new screen is about 150, but if it is just cable re-routing would be about 50. Thanks again for the response.

7 Posts

August 23rd, 2020 02:00

Hi! 

I'm having the exact same issue, and it's seriously annoying.

I know it's 2 years later, but, were you able to fix it?

No Events found!