Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

2 Posts

August 4th, 2018 01:00

Dell Inspiron 5555 Screen Flicker

I'm at wits end with this laptop. The screen flickers very often, mostly when any kind of activity is going on. Playing games just cannot happen, and as soon as I click on anything or try to play a YouTube video it flickers. I've updated drivers from Radeon directly and from Dell to no avail. I fear the graphics card is about to bite the dust. I'm really hoping that's not the issue, but there's really nothing else I can think of doing. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

AMD A10-8700P Radeon R6, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G 1.8GHz - Max Speed 3.2GHz
12GB RAM

9.4K Posts

August 13th, 2018 05:00

Hi ghicks18,

Thanks for posting. Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

What Operating System are you using?

Have you tried running system diagnostics yet?  Please run Dell SupportAssist or try pressing F12 at startup and run the systems diagnostics.  Make a note of any error messages and post back.

If you need additional assistance, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information and your computer's service tag number. Thanks.

2 Posts

August 20th, 2018 23:00

PM sent

1 Message

October 7th, 2018 03:00

Hello,

I am having issues where the screen starts flickering when I have the power cord in and select the start menu and etc. I have updated the BIOS and replace the motherboard, also install the drivers for the graphic card. Is there any solutions to the problem?

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

October 7th, 2018 07:00

I see that the motherboard was replaced which also means the CPU and BIOS which, I believe, are non removable on the laptop motherboard. That would lead me to believe that it is not a hardware issue. And the drivers are the latest from Dell? You say that when you plug in the ac adapter the flickering starts. Does the flickering go away if you are running strictly on battery and no adapter?

1 Message

January 15th, 2019 14:00

Hi, the issue seems to be something related to an energy saver option. Just go to AMD Catalyst/Energy/PowerPlay and deactivate Vari-Bright. Greets! 

1 Message

May 6th, 2019 16:00

I have the same problem and build. Do you now know the fix?

1 Message

August 29th, 2019 06:00

Had this same problem: when power cord is plugged in, often had screen flicker. I could replicate it at will by typing "Check for updates" or another query to get into the settings into the Win 10 Search bar. Display Drivers up-to-date (per windows). If power cord is unplugged and running on battery, problem does not appear.

Improved it by

1) Run AMD settings application, clicking Preferences (at bottom), then choosing Radeon Additional settings (may have to wait a LONG TIME for it to appear). Then uncheck Enable Vari-Bright. Reboot the computer after this.

2) Now an AMD setting should appear under Power Options. That is, from control panel, select Power Options, then click Change Plan Settings. From the new dialog, select Change Advanced Power Settings. This should bring you to a small dialog box titled "Power Options". The "Advanced settings" tab (only tab shown for me) should be highlighted. Under the active plan (for me, this is "Balanced [Active]"), scroll to the very bottom entry, titled "AMD Graphics Power Settings". Open AMD PowerPlan Settings. Change "Plugged in:" to Optimize Battery (e.g., mirror the Battery setting). Apply the settings, then reboot the computer again, and the problem should be better-- maybe even completely resolved.

Hopefully this helps!

G

1 Message

February 19th, 2021 23:00

It is working for me! Thanks!

1 Message

May 8th, 2021 16:00

You are a true GOD, vari bright was the issue. Thanks m8.

Greetings from Greece

No Events found!