Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

6 Posts

May 28th, 2018 04:00

Dell Inspiron 5559 power supply/adapter/cord issue

I pulled an Inspiron 5559 out of the closest and plugged it in and got a warning that I had attached a 45 watt (Dell branded) power supply and that the battery would not charge under full load without a 65 watt or greater power supply (the battery does charge). I looked and found another Dell branded power supply but it did not fit my power port (I have 3 Dell's - XPS 13, Inspiron 5568 and Inspiron 5559). I bought the 5559 on used on ebay.com and may have gotten it without a Dell branded AC adapter.

The WARNING page has a [Continue] button. But pressing the continue button only goes back to the same warning page about a 45 watt power supply.

Request #1 - get a Dell Inspiron 5559 and plug in a 45 watt power supply and try to fix the bug that doesn't let the user continue after getting what it says is only a warning, not an error. 

Also, the Warning screen says that the warning can be disabled in the BIOS. I looked through the BIOS and could not find any place to change the warning. 

Request #2 - put the exact location in the BIOS setup where the "too low wattage AC adapter" warning can be disabled.

I went and did a query at dell.com for "Dell Inspiron 5559 power adapter", "Dell Inspiron 5559 power supply" and "Dell Inspiron  5559 power cord". Neither one returned anything that looked like it was a 65 watt AC adapter for a Dell Inspiron - there is a 45 watt power supply that comes up: Dell 45-Watt 3-Prong AC Adapter with 3-ft US Power Cord for Select Dell XPS / Inspiron Laptops.

Request #3 - stock, and/or make searchable, a replacement power supply (power adapter) for the Dell Inspiron 5559. 

Although, they do sell 3rd party AC adapters with a listed compatibility with a 5559 on ebay.com.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

May 28th, 2018 04:00

18 Posts

October 26th, 2020 06:00

After research the dell community posts, I found your post.

My 5559 may have the same problem of 45 watt issues to begin with and resulting battery not charging and slower CPU speed.  It seems because many new addition of functionalities been added to the window 10, the old 45 watt power supply is no longer have enough juice to run all these new additional functions, so the a/c adapter warming always come up. The 5559 has no choice but to slow down to conserve energy and no charging battery. 

Unfortunately, my 5559 went back to the old problems.

The bottom screen shot shows the battery is in "Excellent" shape. But it does not charging .

The right hand side of the CPU speed shows 0.41 GHZ only. Run like a snail just like a year ago.

My only conclusion is the incompatible drivers between Dell, Intel and Microsoft causes these issues.

1. Not able to charge battery even battery health is excellent.

2. the CPU only runs at low cup speed and not able to fully use the CPU power.

3. The bios can not even downgrade to lower version. There is no need to roll-back if battery can charge and run at higher CPU speed.

In the end, this is a faulty design that Dell had. Because Dell did not anticipate the 45 watt a/c adapter is only good for its short product life (1 1/2 year life span).

18 Posts

November 8th, 2020 07:00

I bought a $10 made in China from Amazon and tried it yesterday.

The 65 watts adapter works.  Now the CPU runs above the 0.30 ghz and can charge the battery.

After chase my tail for over a year, my 5559 finally works normally.

The issue is once the one year warranty expired, DELL don't even want to help. I received many DELL private messages. All told me my warranty expired.

The fact is DELL provide a under-powered adapter (should have at least 65 watts).  You would have thought there a replacement free of charge. Some users have spend extra $$$ for another genuine 45 watts (as per DELL documentation) or another new battery and it still do not work.

18 Posts

November 8th, 2020 07:00

Do you solve this?

No Events found!