Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 11th, 2020 06:00

Dell Inspiron 5567 Swollen Battery

My laptop's battery have been swollen more than one year, I think. In that span of time, I had heavily used my laptop. This quarantine period only gave me time to research about what to do when your laptop's battery is swollen. I found out that I must not use my laptop anymore. Up to this date, there are no legit shops that are open to replace my laptop's battery.

What should I do? Can I remove my battery and continue to use it, or I'll just use my laptop even if the battery is swollen?

@redxps630 @bradthetechnut @jphughan  @ejn63 

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

May 11th, 2020 06:00

The system will function just fine without a battery - but get rid of any battery that swells immediately.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 11th, 2020 07:00

@ejn63  I agree with ejn63 that you should get rid of a swollen battery immediately. I’m actually shocked that you’ve been using your laptop with a swollen battery for a year. That is incredibly dangerous.

I’m pretty sure that modern systems still work without a battery — laptops that had easily removable batteries certainly did — but I haven’t tested that personally. But I would definitely remove the battery anyway. If you find that you can’t use the laptop, then I would still encourage you in the strongest possible terms to get a replacement laptop rather than continuing to use a battery that is creating a major fire and overall safety hazard.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 11th, 2020 07:00

@RickyBaker  One additional point: If you’re able to remove a battery, you should be able to replace a battery, without needing a shop. So as long as you can order a legit replacement battery, preferably directly from Dell, you can do this yourself. Below is a link to the Inspiron 5567 Service Manual, which provides step-by-step procedures for removing and repacking every component of the system, complete with diagrams. As you’ll see, removing the battery is not especially difficult, and therefore neither is installing a new one:

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-15-5567-laptop_service-manual_en-us.pdf

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

May 11th, 2020 12:00

Hi @RickyBaker,

Thank you for mentioning me in your post.  I normally don't answer questions in the Inspiron and laptop forums.  While I'm aware of them, I'm much less familiar with them as compared to the forums I do answer in.

I will say a swollen rechargeable battery is a fire hazard.  Please dispose of properly.

I don't mind you mentioning names when starting a thread, but normally, when you start a thread, it'll be people from that forum that will answer.

Good luck with your laptop!

1 Message

May 22nd, 2020 15:00

Yes this problem happened to me as well.

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7570 with a 42Wh 3 cell battery

Purchased the laptop new from Dell in July 2018

Got a warning message to replace my battery in April 2020

Purchased a new genuine Dell battery and opened up the back of my laptop for the first time and there was my old battery looking like 3 black pillows stuck together!

So I replaced the battery and it immediately solved 3 problems my laptop had since the FIRST TIME I had used it.

First, the touchpad now works perfectly - previously the touchpad buttons were very tight and unresponsive.

Second, the battery life was always rubbish - ALWAYS less than 2 hours and now it is more than double that.

Third, the fan would often come on loud and for long periods of time - for no apparent reason - now I never hear the fan noise.

I would like to emphasise that this laptop was well looked after - only taken outside my home on 2 occasions.  Otherwise on my table or my lap - and never charged while placed on a doona or anything dumb like that. And I never opened the back of it until I replaced this battery.

Clearly the battery was faulty from day one.  I am not posting this info to try to get a free replacement battery from Dell (I already purchased a new one from a retailer here in Australia) but I wanted this text to be searchable so if other users are trying to solve any of these issues they can find this post.

I am very disappointed with Dell that they would sell such rubbish batteries.  I have been a Dell user for decades but I will be looking elsewhere for my next laptop.

May 12th, 2020 03:00

Me too, sir is shocked. HAHA! I was lucky that nothing happened. I thought that a swollen battery was not a big thing.

Anyways, thank you so much!

May 24th, 2020 20:00

My laptop is like this too!

But can I still use my laptop even if I've removed the battery?

1 Message

March 21st, 2021 12:00

I am facing swollen battery problem with my Dell Inspiron 7570 laptop. I replaced my battery with new original dell due to swollen battery with in just after a year, but now with in an year I am facing the same issue again. I think it is a manufacturing defect of either the battery or the laptop itself. I have been using dell laptops for years, I realize that the dell quality has gone drastically down. I have decided not to buy anymore dell laptops and will be switching to a different brand. 

1 Message

October 24th, 2023 04:10

Sad that Dell have gone from being the best to probably one of the worst.  Bought my 7570 late 2018 in Manchester and then returned to Australia.  At less than 3 weeks old, the Power Supply failed.  Contacted Dell - sorry you must return to the country of purchase as your warranty is not valid outside the country of purchase...  WHAT???  I have been using Dell Desktops and LapTops for decades, even fought tooth and nail for Dell at Rio Tinto when HP were looking at taking over the Dell contract (10's of thousands desktops, Laptops and of course the massive Cloud-Server Farm.  So I stood out and supported Dell, but personally the stab me in the back!!  Now (Oct 2023) the following failures!  Power Supplies:  Now on PSU No. 3, 3 now replaced (at my expense).  Battery failed, unable to use mouse or switches on my touchpad.  Hinges on Panel failed - both sides, now it's a desktop of Mobile.  Then Panel cracked!!  The list goes on with this piece of junk.

I have 7 Windows based PC's at home, Win 7 to Win 11, All Dell's, and 5 Apple Mac's (iMacs, MBP's), My relationship with Dell is now Over!!

SUMMARY:  Never buy Another Dell, not EVER!!  Zero Support, Zero Quality, Designed to FAIL!

(edited)

No Events found!